Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is my thuja hedge dying??

I planted a thuja hedge about 2 years ago but it has totally failed to thrive - it looks really sparse with brown leaves - although the ends and top look ok.  I have installed a dripline thinking that it might be too dry and am thinking about mulching - do you think it is too late?! I don’t think it helps that my neighbour keeps applying weedkiller at the back of it though!

• RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,630
    Thuja are supposed to be able to regenerate. I am sure your neighbours application of weed killer would not help, though it depends on the kind and if it is being sprayed or applied to the ground. Can you find out?
    As some woody plants are okay with ground applications of some kinds of weed killer. I would imagine that an air born spray would cause damage.
    Find out what they are using and how they apply it.
    Is it a regular occurrence?
    Is that what the green windbreak netting is for?
    I should not make judgements, but if you have numptys for neighbours  you might be better off putting up a solid high fence, though I prefer a nice hedge.

If you have chosen the right plant for your soil conditions, prepared the ground well, fed, watered and mulched it should be going on nicely.

• NM73NM73 Posts: 5
    Many thanks! He usually applies it with a watering can. And yes, pretty regularly. Was trying to avoid a fence ...
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,566
    It's definitely not a happy hedge, and after 2 years l would have expected it to be filling out nicely . Your neighbour's use of weedkiller worries me too, as even though he's not using a sprayer, the plants could possibly be taking it up through their roots. Do you have a good relationship with him, at least so that you can ask him what it is he is using? If you can find that out, you may be able to do some research.
    No unfortunately not, he hates trees and hedges!  I’m just hoping with more water and mulching they might come back? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,566
    If he hates hedges, yours might be in the firing line ! With winter approaching, that might scupper his weedkilling exploits and they may start to recover, in which case you'd have your answer. I am no conifer expert, maybe someone else on here may have some ideas (but you might want to start saving for that fence :) )
    Thanks AnniD! 😀. As you say it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    NM - is he applying weedkiller to plants on your property? Totally unacceptable.
    If so, I think you  need to get a fence of some kind in.
    The only alternative is to confront him, and tell him you'll take further action if he continues with his criminal damage, and that can start a whole lot of cr*p...  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    Thanks Fairygirl! I’m not sure where exactly he applies it tbh. A fence might be our only option sadly.  :#