Forum home Problem solving

Leaf Mould

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,439
    Applying an acidic mulch will not make a soil acidic if the soil already contains lime/chalk so leafmould can be used any/everywhere. 

However using a mulch which contains lime/chalk on ericaceous i.e. limehating plants will damage them. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild flowerwild flower South West LondonPosts: 78
    OK - thanks for explaining.  A tad confusing though!
    A 'weed' is just a plant in the wrong place - subjective! ;)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,637
    The pH of the leafmould is dictated by the "leaves" used. IMHO if you use solely pine needles, you'll get acidic leafmould, but if it's mixed , it's pretty much neutral. 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=478 
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,299
    If you grow woodland plants, then saving leaf mould for them is what I do. Otherwise it is a great soil conditioner for any where in the garden.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
    edited October 2018
    Hostafan1 said:
    The pH of the leafmould is dictated by the "leaves" used. IMHO if you use solely pine needles, you'll get acidic leafmould, but if it's mixed , it's pretty much neutral. 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=478 
    Thanks for this and the link.  Most of the leaves are, as mentioned, from a large Loquat tree I have (the link doesn't mention this type).  They are large, quite leathery but I scrunch them up when dry.  I can't find any link relating to these leaves re. leaf mould so cannot ascertain their usefulness/purpose.  Any help on this?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,637
    Leathery leaves are best run over the mower first. I do this with sweet chestnut otherwise they just sit there taunting you.
    As the RHS says, unless you're using all pine needles, you're unlikely to have any problem with pH.
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    Leathery leaves are best run over the mower first. I do this with sweet chestnut otherwise they just sit there taunting you.
    As the RHS says, unless you're using all pine needles, you're unlikely to have any problem with pH.
    Thanks for that.  Helpful!