Forum home The potting shed

alternative to cardboard to surprise weeds please

Using cardboard to stop weeds does it work as this summer I tried and card caught fire ! What’s the alternative please I have new laid beds with row of Daphne’s which have done very well as roots stayed cool 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,062
    Old carpet or thick black plastic should work if you don't want to buy weed-suppressing membrane.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,563
    Just dampen the cardboard.   Old carpet is a nightmare to remove, especially if it's foam backed.  Black plastic will warm up the soil and slow down weeds but doesn't let in moisture.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Weed suppressing  membrane  but make sure it's permeable.  I planted my black kale and purple  sprouting  broccoli into holes cut in this membrane  and they've  really thrived this summer.  I will be extending this idea on my allotment  next year. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    Many / most carpets nowadays have foam backing and the carpet itself often has a proportion of polypropylene/nylon or other similar fibres which contaminate the soil when the carpet begins to break down. For this reason many allotments have banned the use of carpets to suppress weeds etc. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,062
    edited September 2018
    Good point about the foam-backed carpet.  We only have the hessian-backed sort so I didn't think of it.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,841
    I use a garden fork and trowel. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,386
    I would have thought fire a good weed suppressant.
  • Thank you all for advice and carpet is not an option due to reasons given I like cardboard which I keep cool as suggested but long term there is problem of termites if I do nothing and leave soil exposed will this make weeding nightmare or is wood chip going to give same termites problem? I invested in a rotating hoe which seems easy to use any advice gratefully rece.d kalps x
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,585
    Termites?  whereabouts are you?
  • Oh!  Suppress weeds!  Right. 

I'm a bit disappointed now....  :D 
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!