Looking for an apple!

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether any apple masters could help me out. I'm searching for a variety that is at least similar to a variety which my garden possessed when I was growing up.

I only have memories to go off, but the following at least was true. I know I'm unlikely to find the specific variety of apple, but am at least hoping that others can make suggestions.

The apple was:

Deep red.
Quite sour (sweet enough, but sharp).
Grainy, snow white flesh (but firm).
Red veins inside (Not really red flesh, but clear red veins throughout).
Very strong smelling.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I hope to recapture my youth!

Thanks!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,121
    Possibly Discovery.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • rockshow6rockshow6 Posts: 16
    Thank you!

Please keep suggestions coming as I will likely just buy a few and hope for the best!
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 520
    Research Rome Beauty and see if that triggers memories.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,398
    A friend has a big tree of Spartan apples - they look like purple baubles.
    They are deep red/purple and those that get the most sun do have red in parts of the flesh, but they're quite sweet
    There a page from google here with some images that may trigger a memory.

I only wish I could recapture my youth so easily :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 700
    You need to find your local Apple Day fair Rockshow and get yourself off there. They are normally October. My local one has over 200 varieties and seeing them in the flesh will I’m sure help you find it, plus others you will like just as much. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 1,812
    The description given sounds like 'Spartan' to me...  down to a tee...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 52,287
    I agree ... sounds like Spartan to me ... I’ve bumped the Apple Days thread up in case @rockshow6 had a chance to go along and check out some apple varieties. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,826
    Brogdale in Kent is home to the National Fruit Collection.  The people there might be able to help.
  • rockshow6rockshow6 Posts: 16
    Thank you all! I’m encouraged by the spartan responses and thank you for bumping the apple day thread! I’ll return with news of my success one day. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 52,287
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh