Forum home The potting shed

Cyclamen seedlings?

I found these  little  chaps amongst  the weedlings in my non hardy  cyclamen  pots.
Might  they be cyclamen seedlings  and will  they  come  to anything?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    Some of them maybe. I only know hardy Cyclamen which only put up one seed leaf, unlike those in the top pic. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,849
    edited September 2018
    I'll wait and see what I've got. Thanks nut.
    Just had a look. The seedlings have one leaf. It was the camera angle. Some of them are kidney shaped or might have had the tip nibbled off. Some are shinier than others though.
    I'll ask again in the spring if anything interesting emerges. Thanks again.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,064
    Yes, they will likely come to something if they are C.persicum.  I save the seed and grow my own - takes a couple of years to get them to flowering size although I've seen quite young seedlings throw up the odd flower.  The seedlings generally resemble the mother plant but both leaf pattern and flower colour can vary.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Being of a certain age, I didn't fancy waiting a decade for them to flower, but hopefully two or three years is doable ;)
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,513
    Grown properly and heavily fed as the professionals do, C. persicum can be had to flower in 16 months from sowing.
    Well, they'll go in the porch before the frost, as usual. But  heavy feeding ain't gonna happen ( keen but lazy). I can wait a little longer for them to do something. :)
    Thanks @Berghill
    edited September 2018
    They are definitely cyclamen. They have grown a little bit more.
    Should I transplant them into little pots or leave them?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,064
    They do need their own space but be careful when transplanting as they only have a single long root at this stage.  Some of those will break when you prick them out but as long as it doesn't break off close to the base of the mini corms which will have formed by now, they should survive.  Keep them in good light and somewhere frost-free over the winter.
    Some of mine from self-seeding:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thanks, Bob. I'll have a go.