School Garden Biodiversity Area... Help!

Gal2Gal2 Posts: 36
edited August 2018 in Wildlife gardening
Hello all,

We are creating a biodiversity area for our school garden which is located next to a river in a Maritime Temperate Climate.

Can anyone suggest some ideas to get the best benefits out of it? Should they be in a more sheltered location?

Photo 2 is a separate part of our garden so perhaps they would be more suitable there?

Also, I would like to include a small wildlife pond, does any have any suggestion on this?

Thanks!

G  

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,074
    Any ideas anyone for @Gal2 ?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,625
    I think I'd have more chance of suggesting something if I had an idea of what the aims of the Bio-diversity area are ... I mean I know it should be biologically diverse ... but there has to be more to it than that ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,545
    I think you would do well to get in touch with the RHS which is running a very successful scheme encouraging gardening in schools and has systems in place to help - plants to grow, teacher support and so on - https://schoolgardening.rhs.org.uk/home for info
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Gal2Gal2 Posts: 36
    Finished, any suggestions for improvement are welcome!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,625
    Well done !   :)

A few points:-
     The pond needs a way for frogs, newts to climb in and out and a way for wandering hedgehogs to get out too ... otherwise you’re running the risk of finding a dead body one morning. Also some plants surrounding the pond edges so that baby frogs etc cant be pounced on by birds of cats when leaving the pond. 
    Also a shallow dish of water ... an upturned dustbin lid on the ground works well... with a few pebbles in ... will attract lots of birds who need to bathe to keep their plumage in too top condition to keep them warm through the winter. 

I’m sure the children will be fascinated by everything you’ve done  :) :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 612
    Not at all helpful, but I quite like the B&B sign!
    Is there anyway up that curb? if you want frogs and other small creatures that looks quite a climb.
  • water, always have standing water, be it a bird bath or a pond (with fencing) it will bring the wildlife in.
    Also lots of flowers with nectar, and over a wide range of flower dates from as early as possible to as late as possible, shrubs that have both flowers and berries are great as well.