Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

frerfox

I know this is not gardeing imagebut can somebody explain to an old un what is Firefox i read about , iv got a new pc Fujitsu and its got on it Regworks  and it comes up all the time to update and is P in the A  i know u can spend loads on protection but i dont realy understand wot i need for a simple use of a PC  

any help is beta un note

Alan

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Firefox is a web browser, like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. If you use one of the others ( as listed) you can probably delete the program.
  • cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Firefox is a web browser like internet explorer but made by another company.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I find Firefox more user friendly-and I can ban ads etc at no cost-but each to his or her ownimage

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

I use Firefox Alan, and as Sotongeoff says; find it easy to use. It also has useful ADDONS which are fun to use and help with security and stop ads. The "customer help" is very friendly and easy to use.image

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

Firefox is a web browser and a good one too, with a lot of extensions some of which are actually useful. I think adblock+ is the most useful for most people.

The web part of the internet is always evolving and as it evolves browsers are rewritten to take advantage of it. As web browsers are complex there are always problems that are discovered and fixed. Firefox is updated regularly.

It's a good browser but there are others Google's Chrome browser for example has speech input built in. As browsers are built to support open standards which one you use is pretty much personal preference.

Firefox is my personal favourite and is easy to avoid getting loaded up with toolbars which sometimes give you a view of a webpage similar to looking through a letterbox.  

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I'm a firefox fan too, even though my computer guy put google chrome on for me, I never use it. I like the firefox 'web of trust' that tells me when a site is dangerous to go on, this is created by feedback from users. Also ad-block.

• Dan2012Dan2012 Posts: 22

Alan, another Firefox fan here too, I have used it for many years and find it less problematic and less intrusive than all other browsers.

Have a look here,

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Don`t spend on protection until you know what you have or need, are you using Microsft 7 or another system ?

There are some great free progs. and Microsoft Security Essentials is excellent.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dan2012Dan2012 Posts: 22

A brilliant free cleaner is CCleaner (Formerly known as Crap Cleaner). It`s free, easy to run for both temp. files, browsing history and registry keys etc. I use it on all versions of Windows without any interference and you can run it when you want to, daily, weekly or whenever you want.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Also a great back up to your anti virus is Malwarebytes, free version available and a great tool to have should you need to remove a nasty. Run it weekly in any mode for peace of mind.

Free version here,

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Hope this helps.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Hmm, I use Chrome, but after reading all the rave reviews for firefox, think I'll try it out.