Forum home The potting shed

Reasons to be cheerful

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    The rain has stopped and the sun is coming out  :)  :)  B)

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,139
    Just had toasted tea cakes for breakfast, and seen a tree creeper in the orchard.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    Harvesting the first aubergines and some peppers for a moussaka, that feeling never gets old  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,179
    OH laying a fire in the grate while I was out yesterday so that we could have our first fire of the autumn in the evening.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,174
    I’m happy about all the rain we’ve had, at least I can get my autumn plants in, I won’t need to pot them on, I can at least get a trowel In the soil. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    edited September 2018
    I turned up to my voluntary job at ten yesterday morning, to find I had misread the rota and I wasn't needed until twelve.  Two hours of window shopping, coffee, cake and chat. :). I also got away earlier than usual, so I weeded the drive. And re-staked my wind-rocked apple tree.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    edited September 2018
    My recently acquired un-stepson texted me on Friday to chat about something that was bothering him. Doesn't sound like much but it is. (He's 14)  <3
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    Happy that we have had a decent soak in sort of rain rather than a promissory note from rain gods.
    And noticed lots of flowers buds dangling on the winter clematis. Even though they look horrible during August to September especially in very dry years. I always look forward to the new sprouting leaves, they all suddenly appear from what looks like a dead plant, it is like a miracle, and to me, for what they do to brighten winter they are worth it.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Nerines are in bud and the sun is shining.
    SW Scotland
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    I haven't cut my 'lawn' for two months, just enjoying the ragwort which works well with the calendula and zingy orange zinnias. Since the rain came I seem to have several interesting cereals too. Probably will have to cut it but I'll miss the mystery each morning when I feed the birds - what is growing now?
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett