Forum home The potting shed

Winter for gardeners

Hi all,

Took the plunge and started my own gardening business and really enjoying it.

I've not experienced a winter in this new role though, does anybody have any tips/ideas to help pay the bills over winter (other than putting money aside in the summer).

Thanks guys

IB

• Depends a bit on where you live, but winter can be a good time for certain jobs, such as clearing ground, making new beds and paths, cutting back overgrown shrubs etc., but only if it is not freezing or too wet. Doesn't necessarily work where I live!
    If it is generally better for you, then you could advertise/ promote along these lines and see if you get any takers. It will be harder physically and less pleasant probably, but hey, if it pays the bills...
  • Thanks for the reply, I live on the south coast so all of those suggestions sound really good.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    I do more work in my garden in winter than I do in summer. 
    There's shrubs and trees to prune, plants to move in suitable conditions, dead growth to cut back
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,381
    Put leaflets around offering leaves removed from guttering, it's what they do here . 😀
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,006

If it's mild, grass keeps growing.  I've been known to cut mine (high setting) when I'm off work between Christmas and New Year if it's dry enough. 

If you have the skills, you could also perhaps try handyman-type work (outdoor or indoor), which might appeal to less able people.

• Thanks guys. The leaf clearance and guttering service may be my best bet then.

Been looking to add new skills to my repertoire such as fencing, paving but so expensive to learn these. 😊
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,006
    Painting/treating fencing, sheds etc is easy for able-bodied people, but boring.  People might pay you to do that, and it could be done in dry spells during the winter.  You could even invest in one of the new-fangled fence spraying doodahs.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
    1. Collect all of the leaflets and flyers that you receive through your door and any your friends and neighbours can give you
    2. Call them all and say that you deliver leaflets in their area as a business and could they consider you for the next campaign.......its OK to tell a lie until you get your first contract
    3. You can charge @  £6.00 per 100 leaflets and you can deliver @ 100 an hour. If you get 3 contracts in the same area you can deliver them at the same time so thats £18.00 ph

It also keeps you fit and you meet all sorts of people but look out for the dogs of Bad Owners

On your rounds opportunities to canvas for new deliveries and also new part time jobs will arise

I did this when I retired at 61 and although you dont get rich its better than Homes Under The Hammer  :p

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Haha.

Thanks again guys. I do enjoy homes under the hammer though! 😉
  • batten_i there's no need for a gardener to be out of income in winter. I've been doing it long enough now. I used to get a good feet-up in the winter, having made plenty from March-November, but now I rarely get much time off. 

Lawn treatments.
    Tree work.
    Hedge cutting.
    Planting.
    Pressure washing.
    Soft washing.
    Stone chips, mulches.
    Leaf clearance.
    Clearing borders, digging new ones.
    Garden tidy ups.

All can be well-paid work. You can do hedges and trees in the cold spells. I have plenty photos from tree jobs in the snow, it keeps you warm!

What sort of work have you been enjoying the most since starting?