Forum home The potting shed

What garden jobs need doing this September? An opportunity to share and prompt others.

AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,967
edited September 2018 in The potting shed
I am interested to hear what everyone is up too over the next few weeks, as Autumn is coming in. Apart from tidying and organising, I need to:

Start a leaf mulch,
Sort compost bins,
Plant some Spring bulbs,
Harvest apples,
Select pots to be brought to shelter for when frost starts,
Mend my cold frame.

I have a busy weekend ahead! 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 

• B3B3 Posts: 15,940
    Tidying up shrubs and trying to be brutal about composting annuals that are past their best.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,497
    edited September 2018
    Have to finish painting the shower room first cos the tiler is due soon but then I'll be sowing seeds - oriental greens, other brassicas, hardy annuals and maybe some perennials to get an early start next year before the summer heat starts.

Also need to pot on babies sown earlier and now needing more root room - vitex, morus nigra and some perennials too.

Need to see a man about a mini digger too and another about topsoil and another about a lorry load of horse poo or I'll never get my rose and clems in.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,389
    Still have a greenhouse full of toms and cucumbers to ripen, just picking the sweetcorn then they can go, hedge cutting if arms stop aching,  lawn sorting and seeding and usual dead heading. Sweet peas are done so they can go too.😥
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Moving some plants that I've been meaning to do for a while.
    Plant bulbs.
    Patio pot shuffle.
    Cut back perennials when finished flowering.
    Leaf clearing has started early this year.

SW Scotland
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Jobs that need doing are too numerous to list.  I've neglected the garden lately as we've had a succession of visitors.  I'm seriously thinking of having the front fence replaced with a low stone wall.  I'm half seriously thinking of getting someone in to break up and remove the large expanse of concrete that covers the far end of the back garden.  It would give me more growing space for edibles, and look a whole lot better.  
  • We need to bag up some wood chip, move the strawberry bed from the shade into a sunnier part of the veg patch. Collect apples and more squash and generally tidy up.  However I am trying to leave  many summer plants as they are, even though they are either dead or untidy.  I realize that these dead or decaying plants are the winter home to many bugs/beetles, chrysalis, etc. etc. and I don't want to disturb them now.  Please think of leaving some old decaying plants just where they are to supply you with next summer's delightful butterflies, ladybirds etc.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,738
    Lay down wood chip and manure roses
    get in fire wood
    stake the cosmos trees
    keep watering the newly planted crabs (big mental note to self)
    plant out autumn flowering stocks and wall flowers
    plant out rooted cuttings
    turn the compost

I tidied up my tool shed last week, which is very satisfying and created lots of space. The toms seem to be over where I am - not enough heat or sun where I am (outside plants).

• stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
    Scarify, aerate and top dress/overseed the lawns. After the hot dry Summer it needs it. In fact rather than sitting here browsing the forum i had best get on with it!  :D
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I do what I can in between the rain, but most of the main jobs are done. Cuttings potted on and general tidying/pruning/mulching. I don't do much to the grass - it just gets on with it! I did some reseeding a month or so ago while it was still warm and damp enough. Too cold now for seed to germinate here. Grass gets cut when it's dry enough, but that's getting trickier now, so it probably won't get many more cuts till next year now.
    I have some bulbs that need replanting, or planting into borders, but if I don't get round to it, it's not the end of the world. There are a few plants that need to go into a border I removed something from, and some large clumps of perennials and lilies that need splitting and replanting, and I expect I'll get that done at some point. 

Anything else can wait till next year  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,738
    Still very little rain down here. We had a week planned but it just got cancelled.