Forum home Wildlife gardening

wildlife mini pond

2»

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,726
    I'm looking at doing the same. A second option seems wise.
  • I have planted as many ever greens around our pond as I can. Look for evergreen ferns and grasses that don't die down in the winter, giving shelter for insects to hibernate in, also geum aviens Rivale that has flowers that attract bees all summer long.
  • saradelpozosaradelpozo County DurhamPosts: 35
    would ferns be ok in the sun? I thought the needed shade.

I also have an old belfast sink, I was thinking of making a bit of a water feature with it elsewhere in the garden. Maybe tilting it and making the water fall on a small half barrel... what do you all think?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,607
    Lots of ferns are happy in sun, or light shade Sara, especially if they have moist enough soil. The Dryopteris ones are very good. :)
    The Asplenium scolopendrium ferns are evergreen. Great plants and quite adaptable, but they do prefer some shade.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• yes wildlife will be tempted.
    Understatement of the year from Fishy. It'll be hoochin' in no time and housework will become a thing of the past as you will sit there all day and watch it.
    Ask me how I know... :blush:
  • saradelpozosaradelpozo County DurhamPosts: 35
    :D  
    Tell me about it... unfortunately all I've seen so far are a couple of wasps and the ever present pidgeons. Water seems less brown today, I live in hope

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253
    Ponds take a little time to establish Sara. I dug mine out in August 2014, within a day or two I had a few water boatmen and a black water beetle. When some wonderful people from this forum sent me aquatic plants, I gained some water snails and freshwater shrimp. I had birds drinking and bathing in the margins and a single frog after about 2 weeks.

This March just gone I counted 19 frogs mating and that's without the ones just below the surface. Hundreds of tadpoles and baby frogs now. I predict your pond will follow a similar path  :)