Forum home Plants

Plant ID for these 2 roses please!

dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 738
1) Small bush (I think - was being supported onto wires, so was hard to tell) rose, growing to about 3/4ft high, underneath the window of a cottage we recently stayed, in the New Forest. 
Tiny blooms, fading to white, pinkish when closed. Incredibly scented, we could smell it from inside the dining room several feet away, when the windows were open.

2) Larger bush rose, growing in a sunny spot in a New Forest cafe' garden.
A beautiful shade of darker pink and a lovely scent.

If there are any rose experts out there, please let me have your pearls of wisdom, as I'd love to track these 2 varieties down and plant them in my new garden one day.

Thank you  :)

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 738
    Have just done some extensive googling! Is the little white rose Snowball, maybe?
    bumping...
    bumping...

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,252
    Your red rose is likely to be 'Darcey Bussell'... I cannot be sure of the small white rose, I would need to see several more photos of the foliage and blooms, those are not adequate to be sure, but at a guess it may be 'Little White Pet'.. but it's not normally as strongly scented as you describe..

'Snowball' is not available in this country, and is grown more in New Zealand... It is also not reputed to be fragrant...

I'm sorry I can't be of more help on that one..
    Thanks Marlorena.
    Snowball is available online and is described as highly scented:
    https://www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/shop/view/1317-Snowball-Shrub-Rose

edited August 2018
    @dappledshade
    .. That's a bit of a liberty for that nursery to change the name like that.. it's actually 'Boule de Neige', which was introduced in America as 'Ball Of Snow' a long time ago, but has long since reverted to its original name...

I'm not sure that's your rose, I would expect to see it much larger, and it has a lot more petals than in your photo...  they also recurve into a ball shape, hence the anglicized name..
  • JemulaJemula Posts: 111
    I agree with Darcey Bussell for the red. The white one does look very much like Little White Pet, but as Marlorena says it doesn't have much scent. Marie Pavie is highly scented but the photo does look more like LWP than MP......
    nO, this one definitely didn't recurve, as you say. Maybe Little White Pet then, after all. But the scent was glorious.
    edited September 2018
    @dappledshade ..
    As they seem to have several Austin roses there, I'm now thinking your white rose is actually 'Winchester Cathedral', not any of the others named so far...   this accounts for the bloom form and scent as described...

I also note the buds are pink and the petals have some blush pink in them,.. this rose is a sport of 'Mary Rose' which is pink, and sometimes an occasional petal will be a pink reversion...
    You're right - the buds are pink, open with a blush of pink, but then fade to white. Off to check Winchester Cathedral - thanks!