Forum home Plants

Perennial stock wanted

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,778
Hi all, in my incessant quest for scented plants I have come across mention of a perennial stock plant, described as a bushy shrub with highly scented white flowers. I cannot find it in any mail order sites can anyone help with more information about it and a way to buy it? Thanks 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,787
    Matthiola arborescens - try Plantworld for seeds or Beth Chatto for plants,(suggested by g**gle search).
    I believe it grows in a similar way to Bowle's Mauve.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Seedaholic also sell perennial stock seeds
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,778
    Thanks, plants are unavailable at the moment but will be looking for seeds. I just cannot resist a scented plant! 
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    A couple of forumites went for Zaluzianskya ovata (night scented phlox) a couple of years ago. It was a big hit.
    I bought plants of that but I am more of a daytime person so didn't really get the benefit. Anything night scented is rather wasted on me. Definitely a lark rather than an 🦉 owl. 
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Me too @debs64 but when I saw the number of moths and flying critters around my baskets in the early evening I rethunk. I'm seriously considering these for next year. My honeysuckle is fab early evening too. 
     I have ordered seeds for matthiola Incana pillow talk from children seeds so will see how I get on thanks for advice everyone!