Forum home Plants

Cherry blossom ID.

RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 309
I know it's a tall ask, but can anyone tell me what cherry blossom this is? Unfortunately I only have summer pictures and I need to move it this winter.  I think  it has pink blossom, I think it's been planted just under 10 years. It's about 20 ft high at the moment.  I want to move it and I have a good place for it, but I could do with knowing it's ultimate height and width.  Pics below. If you can't identify it, any guesses as to how big it'll get?

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,875
    edited August 2018
    Yes...it may be Prunus sp a cherry tree.
    However without any pics of the flowers/blossom it is almost impossible to give you an accurate answer.
    Even with flowers id is hard.

It is already a rather large tree to move. It will just get larger as it gets older.
    Maybe it would be safer to plant a new cherry tree.

Then you can chose whether you want it for the flowers or whether you want to be able to pick edible cherries.
    Whether you want white flowers or pink ones.
    Whether you want single flowers or double flowers.
    Whether you want an upright tree or a weeping one.
    Whether you want tiny flowers in winter before the leaves or glamorous , blousy ones in spring.

https://www.google.com/search?q=prunus+cherry+flowers&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinj4bo55LdAhUJElAKHYZ7BtsQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=943

https://www.google.com/search?q=large+cherry+trees&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwivae6JLdAhWNZ1AKHVY7Bb0Q_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=943
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 309
    Thank you Silver, I take your point and some of those pictures are stunning.  I'm in a bit of a dilemma though.  The tree has been planted in completely the wrong place.  It's been put in the ground with no thought to overall design and it has to go from where it is. It simply cannot stay there.   However, I don't just want to cut it down.  It was apparently planted by the previous owner in commemoration of someone who'd died so it would feel disrespectful, and I also don't like just getting rid of trees.  Furthermore, there is spot at the front of the house where I want to put an ornamental anyway.  I had looked at crab apples, amelanchiers and other such trees, but as there is a cherry blossom here anyway, I thought the best thing to do would be to move it, although I am wondering if this is going to be a rather more challenging task than I  had first anticipated.  I'm concerned about the ultimate size because the tree will be about 5 metres from the house, but it would provide instant screening from the neighbours which is what I want to achieve.  If I plant a new cherry blossom or other ornamental it will take years before it provides any screening.  What to do?  
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,269
    I would move it into your planned space if there is nowhere else for it to go and then if it does get too big you may have to get rid of it altogether in the future but you will have tried to keep it. It's going to be tricky to move though so hopefully someone on here can give you some expert advice. Good luck! 
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    When a pro moves a tree, I have heard, they go around the tree with a spade in a circle cutting any roots to spade depth, leaving the tree in stitu. I woiuld do this a week or so before I move it. I confess though, I have never done this
    See page 2 ..shows recommended planting distance from houses.

https://www.localsurveyorsdirect.co.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/treesdraft060227.pdf

If tree meant so much to previous owner they would they would have taken it with them.It is now yours...it is just going to get larger and larger.

Cherry trees have large roots.
    You can see this in street trees when they lift up the pavement.

Also be careful of any drains/sewers  in the area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+roots+sewers&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBpoOwrpTdAhWCY1AKHWGSA0QQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=943

Masses of pics /video on www how to move a tree.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1920&bih=943&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=J6yHW8TFDo7dwQL20K64BA&q=how+to+move+a+tree&oq=how+to+move+a+tree&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.6983.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.img..0.0.0....0.kI9-34Mkb9E
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,594
    edited August 2018
    The other problem with moving cherries (and some other trees) is that root disturbance can trigger suckering ... and then you've got a potential forest of prunus rootstock popping up every year  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Such a wealth of information here, thank you all.  Thanks for those links silver surfer. Actually the tree wasn’t taken by the previous owner because she died so it’s not a problem as such but I’d like to be respectful if I can. I’m getting the idea though that I might just have to get rid of it and plant something different next to the house. 
    edited August 2018

From Link below... so others can see it.

https://www.localsurveyorsdirect.co.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/treesdraft060227.pdf

SpeciesNormal Mature Height (M)Safe Distance (M)
    Apple / Pear1210
    Ash2321
    Beech2015
    Birch1410
    Cypress2520
    Cherry1711
    Damson1211
    Elm2530
    Hawthorn1012
    Holly146
    Horse Chestnut2023
    Laburnum129
    Laurel86
    Magnolia95
    Maple2120
    Oak2430
    Pine298
    Plane3022
    Plum1211
    Poplar2835
    Sycamore2417
    Spruce187
    Walnut1814
    White Beam / Rowan1211
    Willow2440
    Yew125

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Update. I’m going to cut down the cherry. At the front of the house I’ve decided to plant crab apple red sentinel. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,594
    Good decision  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh