Forum home The potting shed

Dumb question of the day.

I watch BBC Breakfast every morning and Louise Minchin has a habit of asking dumb questions, a risk of live TV I suppose, but she does ask more than most :)
This morning she was interviewing a guy who is swimming the entire length of the south coast from Lands End to Dover.  He is currently held up in Ryde due to storms in the English Channel which are preventing him swimming the last few miles around a headland to Dover.  Louise's question "Can't you find another route?"  I suppose he could always turn back and swim all the way back round Lands End, past Wales, over Scotland and down the east coast!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,733
    A perfect example of why I never watch day time tv, but that did make me laugh.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,070
    That's priceless.  She does come across a bit thick sometimes but nowhere near as bad as what's her face on the One Show.  Can't watch that at all.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,694
    It would be a great title for a gardening thread. I have lots of dumb questions I would like to ask.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,070
    The really dumb thing would be not to ask!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Indeed. But sometimes we need a prod to ask why the sky is blue.
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,731
    Ok here's a couple about slugs and snails.
    Do they have a sense of smell?
    Can they see colour?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I still don't really get the "whole potting on to a slightly large pot" business. The science behind the idea.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,540

Fire said:
    I still don't really get the "whole potting on to a slightly large pot" business. The science behind the idea.
    New roots like growing into warm soil and a smaller mass of soil will warm up quicker than a large mass of soil.  That's esentially it, anyway. ;)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    edited August 2018
    ... so it doesn't apply to pots in a heated greenhouse?
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,825
    @Fire   I don't know about the science bit but like bobthegardener says above, if the pot is too big, the compost will stay wet for longer, roots will rot, would be my guess.