Forum home Garden design

Garden design help and tips?

so im finally buying my house so i can finally dig up the huge tree dead centre of garden and redesign the whole thing.

I have a rough idea and know where certain things have to go, i just cant work out how to put them all together and how to do the lawn.

so not just placed down and a random vague lawn shape in the middle.

any suggestions on how to lay lawn and have everything around it so is a bit designed??
wife suggesting circle lawn in middle but doesnt seem to fit well in my pic, but not to scale so likely a longer garden than shown.

thanks for any suggestions

• VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
    I would suggest drawing the garden to scale, that will help us and you more. You say its probably longer than the plan you have? How big is your garden?
    Draw it on paper, using 1ft to 1cm on paper or however you want to work it. I'm assuming you were renting it and are now buying? Are the current items in the garden already where they are on your plan? Are you changing it around? how old is your child/children? do you want a large bit of lawn for playing on?

• she is almost 4 and yes want some reasonable size lawn in middle

conservatory isnt built yet nor any seating area, paved area.  bonsai bench is moving.  literally the whole garden is to be dug up and everything re positioned.

pic is roughly where things will be.  i just need to see how they fit.
    i just didnt want some funny shape lawn in the middle or a big square.  but maybe several squares of diff size etc

her area will be all wood chip and my bonsai area will be shingle/pebbles around bonsai area and lots of trees around and a rockery up against the garage.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,371
    Once you have drawn your garden to scale, you could think perhaps of having three interlocking squares i.e. a play square, a lawn square and a seating square.  Unless you really want to sit in your conservatory and look at the trampoline etc, I suggest you swap over the play area with your seating area, unless you have placed the original in the most sunshiny area. Also, it's not usually a good idea to make a rockery against the wall of a garage or house, as it will create damp inside so you might have to re-think that it. Rockeries require quite a bit of maintenance as well, especially if you get deep rooted weeds and grass in it - I speak from bitter experience!
  • Basically everything has to go in said area due to sun and or irrigation for bonsai area and bring trampoline out of view from main view. Afternoon evening sun sets on seating area.

Conservatory will look out onto bonsai and seating area but yes doors will view out to play area. That won't be built for 2 years though so just working around it

My bonsai area will be a new longer bench and pergola over it and stones/pebbles going around with Japanese styles rocks and maybe a rockery/waterfall. Still planning that and yes will need to line the wall if goes against.

I will have to dig up the Japanese rockery I have at moment that sat in a large raised vegetable patch that covers the whole planned seating area.. It's all going to be fun next year digging up and arranging.

Just need to work out how to do the lawn and pref a raised flower bed next to seating area to break away from play area. All about what shapes and how to put together

Thanks for the input
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    You can't sensibly plan any permanent features without careful measuring of the space and noting which way is north and what else casts shade on the garden be it neighbouring houses or trees or something else.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • i will try to get measurements.

i am aware of sun location and the bad wind i have in garden but the locations of main stuff is basically set and i will plan on creating some wind shades
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,045
    If you are relatively at ease with computers, I recommend using a piece of software to make your plan(s). I have found the one I'm using extremely useful when re-designing my own garden. More info at http://www.rezeau.org/wp-garden/en/a-garden-plan-created-with-garden-planner/
    Looking forward to news of your progress in this thread!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,735
    I know I've come late to this discussion,  but before anything else are you sure,from your deeds and or solicitor , that the tree has no preservation order on it? Just a thought as a friend found that she couldn't remove hers. It's not always as simple as owning a space.