Forum home Garden design

Blank Canvas

Hi all,

Anyone any suggestions as to what I can do with my drab blank canvas of a back garden. 

It’s not particularly large and overlooked on a couple of sides so need some suggestions as to what I can do with it. Garden ideally needs to service a dog and a young child as well as being and entertainment space. Fence is 1.75m high all the way around.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,876
    First question is, which way does it face ? Then, how keen are you on gardening? Do you want shrubs and easy care plants? Do you want to grow any veggies? That should do for now !  :)
  • marknewmarknew Posts: 10
    AnniD said:
    First question is, which way does it face ? Then, how keen are you on gardening? Do you want shrubs and easy care plants? Do you want to grow any veggies? That should do for now !  :)
    Hi Anni,
    East facing gets sun all day then loses it behind the houses around 6pm in summer. Keen on gardening yes. Ideally want some climbers and some other ideas for privacy.
    ant tips on making distinct areas for the dog and/or baby?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,876
    Do you want a fenced off area for the dog for he or she to " do it's business",  play etc. Off the top of my head , climbers include honeysuckle , jasmine, you can also get evergreen clematis.  I would also say pyracantha, but that might be a bit too vicious if you have a child around. My other advice would be, make any flower beds a generous size and make them curved to soften the straight lines you have. Have a look at your neighbours gardens to see what grows. Buy a soil testing kit and test the soil in several areas, as you may find it's different in different areas of the garden.Finally, don't rush out and buy up the garden centre in one trip! Make several visits through the year, so that you can see what's in flower each time. Hope this is of some help .  :)