Chillington Hoe

Dave115Dave115 Aberdour,FifePosts: 11
I`m thinking of investing in a Chillington hoe as I`ve read so many reports of how much quicker and easier on the back it is to use . I may be missing something here,but what is the technique when turning over compressed soil ? Do you still progress backwards as with a spade or fork ? Moving forward with a chopping action means you end up treading on the turned over soil . Some enlightenment,please !

• B3B3 Posts: 10,366

Found this when I was looking to see what it was
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,926
    They're wonderful tools.
    It always surprises me why we Brits have never really taken to them. .They're certainly used all over Southern Europe and right over into Asia. 
    They can be used like a pick axe, a spade, a rake etc.
    I brought my first "blade" back from a holiday in Kefalonia after watching the " old boy" tend his allotment next to our apartment.
    As for the query about compacted soil. I'd work forward and stand on a plank.
    Devon.
  • I have one for digging out potato trenches on my clay soil but I wouldn't attempt to use it for turning over the whole plot, a spade is much easier for that job. I can see how it would be good for turning over light soil though.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 552
    Work forwards... your feet won't compact the soil to any significant degree. They're great for certain tasks. If you want to hoe the surface off, the absolute best tool is an oscillating hoe, especially the Glaser one (as I know it's durable, having had one for 7 years!). 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,608
    I use a double headed one with a 3 prong fork on one side and a medium width hoe on the other. It's not a Chillington but the style is similar. I got it from Tools for Self Reliance and apparently it was made out of old car parts. A really useful tool for all kinds of jobs especially skimming weeds if you keep it sharp. The fork end is great for prying out bramble roots too.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,477
    Hmm, I would call that a Mattock  - ancient and very useful tool universally used in allotments and by builders for a huge range of tasks over here. I have seen larger ones used to dig out huge tree roots, smaller ones great for saplings, brambles, etc. and for breaking new ground. The allotment guys here do use it for turning over their whole plots, a spade is a rarity, available in the German and French DIY stores but probably largely bought by the expats. I can’t remember which way they work though, forwards or backwards, must pay attention when I next see the locals in action!
  • Dave115Dave115 Aberdour,FifePosts: 11
    Thanks everyone for some interesting comments. Right now the soil on my plot in Fife
    is pretty wet,believe it or not, so digging with anything is hard work.Maybe better left until later.