Forum home Plants

Help needed: Trying to identify a flower

2»

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,310

The ones under Ryan's Cherry tree wil be either C hederifolium if they flower from August onwards or C. coum if they start in January. If you want more then leave the flowers alone and let the seed pods develop. Either then collect the seeds when the pod bursts and sow immediately or let the ants takes the seeds away and plant them for you.

• Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 391

Thanks for that Berghill, they're literally just starting to die back a bit now, so do the seed pods go brown? As I think I'd like to sow them for myself image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,430

Hi Ryan, watch them, they're amazing - the stems holding the seedpods form themselves into tight corkscrews and bury the seeds in the ground themselves.  image

What I do is wait until the following year and if they're growing too thickly I thin them by lifting a few little ones gently (they'll just have one leaf next spring) and move them into pots of loam-based compost and keep them in a sheltered corner for a couple of years then plant out.  

Just don't plant them deeply, the little corm should be only just below the surface, and don't let the pots get waterlogged.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,131

They'll be Cyclamen hederifolium if they're dying back now. Cyclamen coum are still flowering. They satrted at the new year.

Thankyou Dove, actually getting really excited now! Normally they're quite expensive in shops, so growing my own would save loads of money image Are they any good for bees and /or butterflies?

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

Hi Hopeful, they are going into dormancy now and your plant is probably OK. They are very forgiving and do survive neglect. In fact, like "Peace Lilies" they soon let you know when they need watering by wilting and looking dead! But rapidly perk up when watered from below, as suggested. This should be easy to observe ,as I get the impression that the plant in question is in your work place. Anyway, good luck imageimage

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

Hi Hopeful, they are going into dormancy now and your plant is probably OK. They are very forgiving and do survive neglect. In fact, like "Peace Lilies" they soon let you know when they need watering by wilting and looking dead! But rapidly perk up when watered from below, as suggested. This should be easy to observe ,as I get the impression that

the plant in question is in your work place. Anyway, good luck imageimage

Regarding your question Ryan, being single flowers the answer is yes but I do not know if there are any bees and butterflies active in winter, as this is when they flower generally. I could be wrong.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,430

Yes, hederifolium are a good source of nectar for solitary bees image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Okay that's even better, thankyou image

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

its not a plant for indoors really,it likes the cool and it likes a little water often and misted.