Forum home Plants

A couple of IDs please

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 973

I’d like to get both these plants, if they are suitable for my garden, so could do with IDs

first one growing along a riverbank, looks like a variegated iris, though the stripeyness hasn’t come out well on the pic, but the flower isn’t an iris type flower is it?  Maybe the flower doesn’t belong to the iris type foliage?  

Second one, 1m tall very grey/blue colour grass (I think), but maybe could be a bulb? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,510
    Hard to see the flowers in the top pic but they look pink which suggests Butomus umbellatus to me. The leaves might not belong to that as you suggest.
    Leymus arenarius is a very blue grass but not one I know well enough to ID with confidence
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 973
    edited August 2018
    Yes the flower looks like butomus, thank you.  What a great name! I’ll assume it doesn’t belong to the leaves then. 
    those variegated ones could be Acorus gramineus but that's not a definite
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 973
    Ok I’ll have a look. 
    Is the grass likely to be leymus given it’s in a mixed border, ie improved soil, mulched etc. The leymus looks like a sand dune grass. 
    There are varieties bred for the garden but I've just noticed the flower heads in the pic so not Leymus