Wildlife pond creation

ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
edited July 2018 in Wildlife gardening
Hi all,
 I am considering buiding a small utilitarian wild life pond. I don't really have a lot of room and its going to be under an apple tree. the principle reason is to attract wildlife (hopefully frogs and newts. I dont really want to make anything visually attractive, more functional. I think it could be about 2 square metre in surface area. I think this is too small for fish? I won't be oxygenating. I hope it will more or less take care of itself. I will probably go for a plastic pond rather than using a pond liner. I live in a semi rural area. 

I know little about doing this so advice is appreciated.  

Z

• PenninePJPenninePJ Posts: 18
    Two square metres will give you plenty of room for a wildlife haven. Our two ponds are only modest in size and the lower pond is in the shade of a few trees. However, we have avoided putting in fish as the ponds regularly freeze over. However, I guarantee if you put in a pond wildlife will find it. Excellent idea hope you enjoy it. Good luck and a few tips https://catsandapenninegarden.blogspot.com/search/label/water lilies
    PJ
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,110
    Not right under an apple I would think, you won’t get the depth in middle, you could hit roots and it will be full of leave in the winter. 

You will need to oxygenate the pond, they don’t take care of themselves, you’ll end up with a stinky pool of stagnant water. 

You are better off digging out and using a liner sheet,  those preformed ones have to be dug exactly to the contours of the plastic or the top sags, or they’re not level. Liners 100%  easier,  whatever you dig, they will follow. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    No room elsewhere
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,653
    Do you have a photo of the area?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    It's a simple patch of lawn under an apple tree
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,653
    If it's not going to get any sunlight and it is going to get lots of leaves in the autumn I think it'll struggle
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    It probably will, I know it's not ideal, but its better than having no water in the gardenat all. 
  • Oxygenating plants (choose a few native ones) will help a lot to get it going properly, otherwise create it and just leave it alone. 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,554
    My daughter has a cat litter tray sunk into the ground and has already attracted 2 frogs!
    It seems any water is better than none at all.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    Let's hope that the cat does not find out  :worried: