Forum home The potting shed

Total newb to gardening, in need of hedge advice

jams1256jams1256 Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in The potting shed

Hi all, I’m in need of some hedge advice.

I’m in an end terrace house and have a very small space at the back which is overlooked at all angles but I do have a bit of a side garden which has a small 2ft wall going along 1 side, adjacent to a road.

I’d like to plant a hedge along 2 sides (around 15 metres) to give me some privacy, the garden isn’t big but it would be enough for me to be able to sit outside in the summer, at the moment I have no privacy at all.

Ideally the hedge would have to be kept quite narrow as not to eat up too much of the garden but be able to reach a height of around 6ft fairly quickly

Can someone tell me what variety would be best?

Also, I read somewhere that erecting a high fence is not allowed in the front but hedges are normally exempt, is this correct?

I’m a total newb to the world of gardening so any advice you could spare will be greatly appreciated.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,686
    Hello there,

Well, first of all, any plant that grows to six feet fairly quickly does so because it is on its way up to reach its natural height which is most likely going to be 106 feet high. Any hedge that is going to stay manageable and not occupy the entire garden is going to reach six feet very very slowly.

For rules and regulations on what height hedges and fences can be in your area, contact your local council.

I’d say build some sort of arbour to hide within. No height restrictions on arbours, I believe.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    However, pretty much all fast growing hedges of huge natural lineage are easy to keep at 6ft tall with a 1x annual trim. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,974
    I would second the arbour suggestion to give you privacy and shade. Once it's erected, bar perhaps an annual repaint job, it will be far less bother than a hedge. Grow a pretty climber over it and job done!
  • jams1256jams1256 Posts: 3
    Thanks for your replies, I'll look into an arbour but i want the garden totally enclosed, I've come home from work some nights to find children sat playing in the gravel so i'd like to stop this if i can. 

Can anyone recommend maybe a low rooting hedge, that's also fairly fast drowing?
    My neighbour has a hedge running along her side of the boundary, box i think but i have an inspection cover my side, so i'm a little worried that roots would interfere with pipes.

Thanks for all your help :)
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671
    Put in post and fix panels or boards as a screen then plant climbers along the fence.
  • jams1256jams1256 Posts: 3
    Andy19 said:
    Put in post and fix panels or boards as a screen then plant climbers along the fence.
    As it will be in the front i'm restricted to 1m height for fencing or the like of, there are no restriction on hedge height. Maybe a privit hedge?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,974
    A privet hedge will be quick growing and can be kept quite narrow, but the roots are very greedy. It will also need trimming maybe every 6 weeks/2 mths Comes in plain green and a yellowish version.