Forum home The potting shed

Through the cracks.

Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
As it seems there aren't many fans of pathclear on the forum, I thought it would be interesting to see what's sprouting in those tiny inhospitable gaps in your paths and paving.

Along with the moss, grass and dandelions on the front driveway I have...

Geranium "wargrave pink".

Campanula poscharskyana.

Creeping cinquefoil.

Alchemilla mollis.

A tiny scrap of echium "blue bedder".

And this little bundle of nonsense which includes sedum, dog violets, aquillegiea and linaria.

Plenty of welsh poppies too but I've snapped them off before they set even more seed 😆.

Do any other members leave these weedy invaders to grow, or is it just me? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    That's wonderful. so much nicer than fighting them all the time, good for wildlife and mental health
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,919
    I'm a leaver. Dandelions and willowherb come out, but not much else unless it's a 5ft VB in the middle of the path.
    I get nice ones growing up through the slats in my bench too.
    The best paving slab one is a Japanese quince that I prune flat against the fence .
    My best garden weed is an elderberry tree that popped up right where I was wondering what kind of tree to plant. I keep it pruned to about 10ft and don't let anything sprout out of the trunk.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    I'm not sure my nextdoor neighbour would agree with you nut. She'll be cursing me next year if stuff starts sprouting up in her newly laid block paving 😳.

Yes B3, the willowherb has to get hoiked out asap but stuff that tolerates being trodden on or driven over occasionally can stay. I think it brightens up the concrete slabs 😁.
    I totally agree. My OH wanted to replace the old crazy paving with sterile block paving - heathen ! 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,040
    I get mostly willowherbs, grass and pearlwort, which come out.  Occasionally there's alchemilla, a little daisy-type flower that I forget the name of, and forget-me-nots in spring, all of which stay until after the flowers finish.  And valerian (both the white and the red) which I like but have to pull out of the paving because they get too big. They get to stay in the borders.
  • HorlicksHorlicks Posts: 45
    My weeds in cracks are removed as they are a trip hazard for me.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,002
    Grass, dandylions, plantains mainly. with some willowherb and feverfew thrown in, occasional chickweed. I get the hoe out and scrape it all off.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    That's nice M-U :)

MU your bench is weedier and prettier than mine :)
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    edited July 2018
    I have a selection but continuing with the theme of alcoholic mollies!!! They get everywhere. Hypericum, pulmonaria (the spotty one), foxgloves, sedum, primula, oenothera...
    I planted violas a couple of years back in nyummy compost in cosy tubs and the only one of the little sods that self seeded was between the cracks in the paving! 
    ...and of course birch trees. How could I forget the birch trees!?!?!?