Forum home The potting shed

New enthusiast looking for some inspirational ideas

hi all 👋 

im so glad I’ve found this forum! Ive always had a fondness for the garden and I take pride in putting the stripes in my lawn, I’m just not so clued up when it comes to planting etc. 

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts would be to help me finish off the back garden. I have two kids who enjoy playing in the garden so would need something child friendly. 

As as for myself, I’d like something quite low maintenance with a mixture of evergreen and long lasting flowering shrubs/perennials etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,814
    Wow - that's an amazing lawn. Especially in this weather. Whereabouts are you? The best 'broad picture inspiration is most likely to be from local open gardens - if you give us a rough idea someone may be able to suggest somewhere near by you could go and visit
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,786
    Quick and easy would be to plant some trees along the boarder to grow as a standard, pruning to lift the crown each year as it grows.  Your garden needs some height to break up the boarders.  Plant close to the front of your boarders, so they don't overhang your neighbors yard.  Cherry, crabapple, and dogwood come to mind.  

I would also suggest widening the boarder in sort of a crescent shape to break up the rectangle-ness of the space.
    Utah, USA.
  • Thanks for your comments, I live in Bury, Greater Manchester and I have been enjoying this summer, more so than the usual warm rain we get. I have gotten away with it slightly in the back garden as it’s south facing so the sun hits it all day long, I’ve struggled with the front but it doesn’t look too shabby considering.

i had thought of putting a couple of trees in but don’t want them to take over the lawn, I’d also consider changing the boarder shape but I actually quite like the rectangle-ness, plus it helps with the mowing.
    Are you anywhere near Stretford? The Moss Park Allotments in the NGS scheme are open next Sunday (a week tomorrow) and they look like they could have some suitable ideas for your garden
  • @raisingirl yep, that’s not far from me and is a great shout, thanks. I may even drag the kids with me, much better than sitting in a play centre all afternoon! 
     :) Good idea - and there is cake.  B)
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    edited July 2018
    Even better when there's cake involved
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Bird feeders, nest boxes, bug hotels, compost bin(s), leaf mould stacks, and depending on the age of the children, a wildlife pond.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    You could try getting away from the cliche regimental look  by digging a graceful curve into the LHS. This would give you more room for plants and more options. A small wire fence would prevent the flowers flopping onto the lawn and maube the occasional ball ending in the plants. 
    One of the skills of gardening is to create interest all year round, bulbs can help with this and the season for daff and tulip planting is in autumn. Beyond daff's and tulips there are many more choices (alliums look great), the catalogues are available online and off. 
    A tricky bit to get right is planting height, things grow at different rates so sometimes they can look right and at other times a bit odd, but general rule is tall stuff at the back. You may want to go with a certain colour scheme too. 
    It's a great joy replanning a garden