Recipe sharing thread

Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
I thought it might be nice to have a thread to share recipes and ideas for what to do with all the lovely crops.

Apologies if a similar thread already exists.

• Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    Quick oriental veg pickle.

Radish, baby cucumber and baby carrots. Thinly sliced.
    Add a dusting of salt and sugar.
    A splash of rice vinegar, squeeze of lime and a few drops of seasame oil.

Can be eaten straight away or will keep in the fridge for a bit.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,918
    That looks good.

There is a thread here - https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/1917200#Comment_1917200 and there was one before that but on the old format for this forum.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Pea and broad bean risotto.

Saute finely chopped onions in olive oil and butter. Add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic. 
    Add in the risotto rice.
    A good glug of white wine.
    Stir in chicken or veg stock, a ladle at a time.
    When the rice is a few minutes from being done. Add in the broad beans and peas with the last couple of ladles of stock.
    Mix through chopped mint leaves.
    When the rice of cooked, mix through a good dollop of ricotta. 
    Season with salt & pepper.
    Nice squeeze of lemon, a dusting of grated Parmesan.
    Sprinkle on chopped parsley to finish.
    I only looked in the fruit and veg section for an old thread. Didn’t check the potting shed.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,918
    You can do a search which covers all sections.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,075
    Nice cold too.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,379
    FRESH FRUIT CAKE: vegan, no saturated fat, no refined sugar,high fibre, low glycaemic index.  This is a basic recipe which can be endlessly varied.

Line a cake tin.

Mix together one cup each of wholemeal flour, rolled oats, seeds or broken nuts, dried fruit, and oil.  Prepare enough fresh fruit to give three cups, chopped or lightly crushed, and mix it in.  This will probably produce a somewhat sloppy mix, depending on your choice of fruit and how juicy it is.  Add more flour and/or oats to make a sticky stodge.  Pile it into your cake tin, level the top and bake for one hour, gas 4, 180C, no need to preheat.

NUTTY RICE: nothing in this you're likely to grow yourself but it's a family favourite.

One cup of brown rice, two cups of water, simmer gently with a lid on until all the water is absorbed.  If you have the oven on for something else, you can bake the rice at the same time, in a covered casserole.  When the rice is cooked, heat a drop of oil in a big frying pan and stir-fry a handful or two of seeds or chopped or flaked nuts.  When they're lightly browned, stir in the rice.  This goes well with stirfried veg, and I like it with a dash of soy sauce.
  • Christine-21Christine-21 Portaferry, Northern IrelandPosts: 21
    I've seen a million recipes for what to do with a courgette glut, and I don't like any of them. Anybody want to chance another one?? 
    I'm sure everybody has this problem, courgettes are just so lovely and amenable to grow, big and lush and sturdy, happily fruitful, they don't mind weather or containers, they're like puppies - or maybe more like rabbits, you end up with millions of the damn things... 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 615
    I've seen a million recipes for what to do with a courgette glut, and I don't like any of them. Anybody want to chance another one?? 
    I'm sure everybody has this problem, courgettes are just so lovely and amenable to grow, big and lush and sturdy, happily fruitful, they don't mind weather or containers, they're like puppies - or maybe more like rabbits, you end up with millions of the damn things... 
    I add them to mince, so finely grate the courgettes squeeze out the excess liquid and then mix with mince, works really well in meatballs etc.
    I also grate them and then add to scotch pancakes. it does alter the taste but not terribly.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,698
    Sorry I cannot give a recipe for courgettes but I feed them to my tropical fish and they love them.
    This is what my clever fish did with one courgette:

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable