Forum home Plants

Lavender plant plugs

BlenkironBlenkiron Posts: 44
Evening all, I ordered 6 lavender plugs which have just arrived today, they all look nice and green with good roots, are they able to be planted straight to ground or is t best to go for pots first? They didn’t come with any planting instructions, I’m in the UK with the heatwave so it’s hot and sunny, thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,041
    How big are they.? I wouldn't plant out until the roots have filled a  3 inch (7 cm) pot. Even then, in this heat, you will have to make sure they are watered every day.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BlenkironBlenkiron Posts: 44
    How big are they.? I wouldn't plant out until the roots have filled a  3 inch (7 cm) pot. Even then, in this heat, you will have to make sure they are watered every day.
    They’re about 3-4 inch in total, 1 inch of roots, the rest of plant... would it be better to put them in individual pots? Also indoor or out?
    thankyou! 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,041
    I would pot on into  7cm pots of gritty compost, leave in the shade outside, and don't let them dry out.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,981
    As fidget says.   :)
    They'll make good growth at this time of year, but would be lost if you planted them out. At that size, they're really just last year's cuttings, so very immature. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....