Books for beginners

Hi friends! Do you know some good books for beginners? I am newbie in gardening subject, so I thought that maybe book will be very useful for me. Also some programmes that you know or youtube channels that you recommend will be great! Thank you all for your help!

• elspethscottelspethscott Posts: 205
    ‘Gardening Through The Year’, Ian Spence. This book was recommended to me when I first started; it talks you through each month (tells you what jobs to do, star plants for year-round interest plus general useful tips on basic pruning, taking cuttings etc) I really love it and use it all the time. Hope that helps-Library also a good place to browse without buying!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,468
    How to be a Gardener - books, DVDs maybe still available.  Course can be followed online here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/

It was a TV programme on the Beeb a few years ago and is very thorough at explaining how and why plants grow and how to get the best form them and your garden - how, when, where and why.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,395
    I first got the "Be your own Expert"books to start me off.
    Greenhouse
    Shrubs
    Flowers
    The greenhouse one was invaluable,as I didn't have a clue where to start!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,452
    I had my late father's book. .....Readers  Digest The Gardening Year.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,534
    I’ve an A - Z of garden plants for reference and these for the technical stuff, old fashioned and I suppose lots of people like to try modern methods, but if it worked then,   it works now. 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Expert-Dr-D-G-Hessayon/dp/0903505223
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 165
    @elspethscott, Just wanted to say thank you for the book recommendation above. It's the first gardening book I have bought and it's fab. 😁
  • elspethscottelspethscott Posts: 205
    Brilliant! Glad to be of use Burtsnest, it’s very easy to follow isn’t it? Nicely written and well-illustrated, am sure you will still be using it three years later (like me!) 
  • BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 165
    @elspethscott it is. It came this morning and I've not put it down. 😁 It's really easy which is just what I need as a beginner.  Thanks again. 

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 714
    Definitely the Dr Hessayon books, all sorts of gardening areas covered. I particularly like the green garden expert. Good on understanding soil, composting and minimising the use of chemicals. I still reference it.

I watch gardeners world (of course) plus The Beechgrove garden on BBC. Also on radio 4 there is Gardeners Question time, and on radio kent there is the Sunday gardening show which is good for newbies. You can listen or watch these at any time on the iplayer.

Happy gardening  :)