Forum home Problem solving

Anthony Patterson

Hello, I'm new to gardening and need some advice please. Had my lawn laid 4 months now, good quality top soil 100mm. Told not the cut the glass for a month, by the month came it was 9inch in length. Since cutting it down in stages and to (not shocking the grass) I've noticed bold patches and grass looking like it dying in patches. I watered morning and night for the fist 3 weeks then evening for 30mins, since the hot weather we are having now, I don't know if I'm watering to much at night and still a bit damp in the morning, and the sun is scorching the grass.  Never used to like my garden but since having a revamp it like my baby. I've spent a lot of money and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what feed can I give my lawn Being so young. 
Thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,498
    Don't panic would be my first point.
    Early days yet and the hot dry weather is stressing all lawns. 
    It shouldn't need much watering after 4months.Once  this hot dry spell passes, you can remedy any patches.
    Devon.
  • Hi, do I need to water at night due to the hot weather during the day.
  • Also what feed can I give my lawn being so young, thanks 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,970
    It will come back, we will get some rain at some time, just water at nights, definitely no feed, that will be the worst thing you could ever do! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,715
    Patience is a great gardening virtue.   

If it's still damp in the morning that's a sign you're over watering a bit.   It's still too soon to feed and don't be tempted to use any weeding chemicals either.

Keep it mown but not scalped - minimum 1"/2.5cms long so it can feed a healthy root system and get well established.  Maybe keep it a bit longer during hot dry periods.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you everyone for your advices.