Badgers have eaten my slow worms!

This is more of a grumble than a discussion. I'm just feeling really sad and cross because there were quite a number of slow worms - adults and young - in my compost heap, under the layer of carpet, also a grass snake at times. This morning I found the carpet pulled back, the compost disturbed and dug into, and only one slow worm visible. 

It's got to have been a badger. Sure enough, I found two places in my side fence where they'd pushed their way into my garden from next door. I've blocked these up as best I can, and put down some smelly stuff they're said to dislike,  but I am fed up with the damage the badgers do. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,713
    That's a very Daily Mail thread title. :#

Just because badgers have disturbed your compost heap doesnt mean they ate the reptiles. They were probably after worms and given this dry weather the heap would be a good source of food for them. I'm not saying a badger wouldn't eat reptiles but they've got a lot more defence than your average worm. Restore the heap and the slowworms will most likely return. Maybe think about providing some more secure refuges for them next to the heap. A nice pile of rocks in a sunny spot or a big tin sheet will always be popular with reptiles.

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 792
    Lets hope they just got frightened away. 
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802
    I've replaced the carpet and it's nice and hot under there, but even the one slow worm I saw has now vanished. Let's hope they're just hiding.

I know it's just nature, but I wish there was something that ate badgers! 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,713
    Lots of things eat badgers. They just have to wait for a car to hit them first. :#
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802
    Sounds like I need to find a local farmer with a gun and a 4x4 with a wolf in the back. That should sort it!
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 722
    Seen cats with killed slow worms.  

Noticed the badgers desperation around here, after this long dry spell, pulled to pieces a log pile looking for food last night.