Forum home Problem solving

Unhappy clematis

Rose ladyRose lady Posts: 107
edited July 2019 in Problem solving
Hi.

i plant several clematis varieties in pots this year, and within two weeks of planting one of them looks like this first photograph. As you can see the leaves are droopy and dry at the bottom, but one of the stems looks OK

The others in pots have been really happy from the time I planted them 6 years ago. 

I planted it deeply, teased out the roots, kept it shaded, its East facing, we have had a few breezy days. the question is should I cut it right down?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,583
    It looks like clematis wilt. Yes cut down the affected stems. It may even disappear for a year or two, then grow back. That has happened to me. I don't know why it happens, my new "Rebecca" has it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,231
    It may be slug or snail damage.  They've done this to a few of mine in pots this year.  Found the stems chewed at the base when I potted them on last week.   Just cut out the dry stems and give it a good drink and time to recover.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Are they a variety that gets wilt?  Or maybe you damaged a stem or 2 in planting they 're very brittle. Either way it's probably best to cut it out
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,925
    Wilt is a lot rarer than people think. Easy way to tell. If the plant dies from the base upwards then suspect wilt. If it dies from the top downwards then it is more like that the base of the stem has been damaged.
  • Rose ladyRose lady Posts: 107
    I remember this happening to c. Nelly Moser, and Then one summer these lovely flowers appeared from nowhere!! I’ll cut the droopy bits out.and keep my fingers crossed.

I’ll also look out for those pesky slugs!! I find them Munching my lupins early morning :#

Thanks all :smiley:
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    It looks like quite a young plant, so it won't have a particularly strong root ball, and therefore isn't mature enough [only a couple of stems] so can't fend off attacks very easily. 
    Slug damage is common [we get it regularly, even on mature plants] so just cut off that dead bit. Wilt is very rare, and that looks like slug/snail damage to me and nothing else. It's annoying, but the plant will grow stronger each year .  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The plant is perfectly healthy, the poorly looking stem has been snapped off or damaged, maybe below ground when planting, just remove the damaged stem.