Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Any Hope For My Hydrangea?

This time last year I had a beautiful deep mauve hydrangea and now I have what's left of a slug buffet :s  will it perk up and come back to its former glore ir is it buggered? 

What can i don to help it along? 

I've basically snipped off all the raggedy nibbled leaves with the thinking that all the plants energy should be focused on making new growth and this is what's left.

I mulched it with wool slug pellets, some.of which have been a scattered a bit from watering with the hose. 

It was in a much bigger pot before but I couldn't have this sad little thing right near the front door so I popped it in a smaller terracota pot while it's recouperating ha ha 

Any help would be much appreciated thanks  :)

• K67K67 Posts: 2,506
    Plants are wonderful at recovering by themselves. Sometimes we interfere too much. Just keep it watered and wait. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Oh it really has been mullered. Like K7 said look after it well and keep those slugs and snails off and you will get a better show next year. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I would cut those flowers off, it will stress it more having to recover and produce flowers, can you put it in the garden, they’re better out in the open ground. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,251
    Agree with @Lyn,
    hydrangeas are much better off in the open ground.
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove Posts: 180
    Bijdezee said:
    Oh it really has been mullered. Like K7 said look after it well and keep those slugs and snails off and you will get a better show next year. 

"Mullered" made me laugh, blasted slugs & snails. Good thinking about lopping the flowers off, it's not as if its going to put on a spectacular show this year now anyway :/

K67 said:
    Plants are wonderful at recovering by themselves. Sometimes we interfere too much. Just keep it watered and wait. 
    I think you're right actually. Think a bit of liquid seaweed would help it along though? 

Papi Jo said:
    Agree with @Lyn,
    hydrangeas are much better off in the open ground.
    No can do so it'll have to remain in a pot. It's been fine in a pit up until its recent slug/snail massacre  :s

Thank you all for the tips  :)  just gutted as I was really looking forward to seeing it in full bloom again this year  :/