Forum home Problem solving

Do cypress conifers such as Leylandii make for acidic mulch?

FireFire North LondonPosts: 16,465
I have read on the forum that they make for neutral mulch and I have read elsewhere that they are highly acidic. My front garden was under three large Leylandii when I moved in and now nothing lime-loving seems to grow easily or self-seed, even with lime added to the soil. I'm trying to get campanula and erigeron to move in, but they are having none of it. Might this be to do with the old trees?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,856
    Yes I believe all conifers make an acidic mulch, but how long it would last for, I have no idea. Did you clear it all up when the leylandi were removed or just put new compost over it?
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 16,465
    It was mostly a thin bed, where the mulchy bits had fallen. I dug up the earth in the bed and put compost down and lime. I have been trying to grow self seeders in the paving but they won't consider it.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    Sounds odd... I took away a huge line of 20-30ft conifers inv. Leylandii when we moved in and within months, after planting a new hedge and adding lots of compost  there is campanula all over the wee raised wall beside it. They seem to thrive and were there before I removed the trees.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,856
    Oh, self seeders do their own thing in my experience, come up where they're not wanted and not where they are. Keep trying!