What techniques do you use to watering plant when you are on travel?

I am going for a tour for 3 weeks just wonder what techniques do you use to give water to plant when you are out for vacation?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,600
    Neighbours.  The promise of helping themselves to fruit and veg in my garden is usually enough. I also offer bunches of sweet peas and bags of beans when in season.  I reciprocate by dog sitting if necessary.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Neighbours.  The promise of helping themselves to fruit and veg in my garden is usually enough. I also offer bunches of sweet peas and bags of beans when in season.  I reciprocate by dog sitting if necessary.
    I want some automate process , Neighbours dont care as much as we do but still In case I have already asked them to take care
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,872
    I have laid a porous hosepipe round the the garden and it comes on via a timer during the night.  My pots are on the same system, they are moved together and a thin irrigation tube waters each one.  None of the above is expensive it was bought on Amazon. The porous hosepipe stays in place all year.  My friend pops round a couple of times while we are away (3 weeks this year) and just checks that everything is OK.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 837
    I use a combination of things. I have some plastic plant waterer thingummies for smaller indoor plants but I can't find them on the internet so I don't think you can buy them anymore. For other plants I use capillary matting on a shelf above a tray filled with water into which the end of the capillary matting drapes. Not sure I've explained that very well so hope it makes sense!

In the greenhouse I use a timer system attached to the outside tap.
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork North HampshirePosts: 435
    The main garden has to look after itself but for pots and the greenhouse I have automated watering systems.  Hozelock (other brands available) do small battery operated controllers which allow the water to flow for a fixed period.
  • MuddyFork said:
    The main garden has to look after itself but for pots and the greenhouse I have automated watering systems.  Hozelock (other brands available) do small battery operated controllers which allow the water to flow for a fixed period.
    Do this system have facility to set the timings as per our need or may be sms controlling system?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,516
    I only go on holiday in winter. No watering issues then.
    Devon.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,872
    The timer we use can be set to come on multiple times a day.  You choose when and for how long.  It's a Hozelock ACPlus. There is also a manual over ride.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork North HampshirePosts: 435
    I use the same one as Yviestevie.  It has been capable of watering tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in a greenhouse during the summer
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,265
    I’ve havent been on holiday since 1992, life’s one big holiday here. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.