Cottage Garden by Philip.

• nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 923
    Cagzo said:
    It's a lovely garden,so much to look at every day,as Purplerain says,it must be a micro climate,everything is flowering so much before mine too.😁
    @Cagzo,..thank you to both yourself and @Purplerain for the nice compliments  :)
    Blooms are opening so fast in the past two weeks that after checking in the morning i still have to do the same come evening,..its like popcorn.

Nearly missed the one below,..Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Arum Lily',..this is a big plant.

More of Rose ( Rosa 'Korresia' ),..i was spelling it with Karresia,..senior moment.

Pinks No Id.

Blooming today,..Rose ( Rosa 'IceCream' ) sometimes named  (Rosa 'Memorie').

When its in full bloom.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    @nultyphilip, I am going to try your rose cutting/potato this year. When is the best time to take the cutting? 
    SW Scotland
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,605
    Gorgeous blooms! Do they need much in the way of spraying to keep the various diseases at bay? I'd love to get some more.
    Someone gave me a tiny pink patio rose (supermarkets sell them) as a housewarming present,when the blooms had finished,I planted it outside,but not with much hope!!!  It is now twice the size and covered in buds.
    I always thought when they were over that was it! But apparently not.😁
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    Joyce21 said:
    @nultyphilip, I am going to try your rose cutting/potato this year. When is the best time to take the cutting? 
    @Joyce21,..now is a good time with new soft branches starting,..and ones that have not got a rose bud forming,..dip the cutting in water then dip it in rooting powder or rooting gel,..make a small hole in the potato so the cutting fits in without removing the rooting powder or gel,..you can bury the potato or just make a dip in the soil so you can see the progress,..you will have a new rose bush before the end of this season.

This process must be catching on as it was mentioned on the Flower Show this week,..all three cuttings i took last year are now established bushes and in flower.

Philip
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    @nultyphilip, thanks for the info :)
    You have some beautiful roses.
    SW Scotland
    Cagzo said:
    Gorgeous blooms! Do they need much in the way of spraying to keep the various diseases at bay? I'd love to get some more.
    Someone gave me a tiny pink patio rose (supermarkets sell them) as a housewarming present,when the blooms had finished,I planted it outside,but not with much hope!!!  It is now twice the size and covered in buds.
    I always thought when they were over that was it! But apparently not.😁
    @Cagzo,..thank you,..i only use one spray and that is a Tablespoon of Neem Oil and a Tablespoon of Liquid Soap in a Litre of water,..one bottle of Neem Oil lasts me the entire season costs about 12 euro,..when i do run out of the oil Liquid Soap on its own is still pretty good,..only spray on a dull day,..the mix does not harm bees or butterflies,..only that which tries to eat the foliage or has started to nibble,..keeps greenfly and aphids off as well,..you end up with a nice healthy shiny leaf.

We have over 200 days of rain here per year so with rose foliage damp for many hours one gets spots on leaves,..i then spray with water and milk,..it does work but too much milk can pong,..so say one part milk three parts water,..spray on dull days.

There are many home made remedies for spraying against insects and spot,..most work.

Congrats with your patio rose bush its always nice to hear of good results,..take a cutting as its a good bloomer and grower,..well worth having a companion for it.

Philip.

Thanks for that Phillip,have made a note of it.When's the best time to do cuttings of the rose? After blooming?
    @Cagzo,..I always prefer to take cuttings before blooms appear,..though i have pruned a bush at the seasons end,.. and tried cuttings which worked,..its just that the belief is that a new branch is softer and will root quicker than an old one,..plus one that has not bloomed or has a bud will have more energy to root,..makes a certain amount of sense  :)

Philip
    In the shadows.

This is a rose grown from seed,..a friend in the US remarked that it looked Golden Orange,..so i named it Lories Golden Orange,..not registered.

Geraniums.

No Id taken from cutting.

Doggy walk.

Ah ....that's lovely!