Forum home Problem solving

Taking a cutting from Acer Palmatum Dissectum

I have one shot at successfully taking a cutting from my late sister's much-loved Acer Palmatum Dissectum bush before the house is sold.  Can anyone advise how I go about this, I am not a knowledgeable gardener and need some hand-holding on this one! Where do I take the cutting from (currently in full leaf) what do I do with it once I have the cutting, how to nurture it to successfully create a lovely reminder of her. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,484
    I don't think success is in any way guaranteed - most Acers are grafted.  But clearly it's worth a shot in this case.

I found this on the Internet:  
    https://www.hunker.com/12001610/how-to-start-a-cutting-from-a-japanese-maple-tree
    - which is reasonably comprehensive.  You'll need a pot (preferably clay), and some "open compost" (they say).  If you buy a bag of "John Innes soil-based seed & cutting compost" and some Perlite or grit (often sold as Alpine grit in the garden centre - it's tiny granite chippings), and mix them together 50:50 that will give you the right consistency.  You'll need fresh hormone rooting powder, also available from a garden centre.

They say "prod with a pencil to see if it's rooted", but I think you'll be in danger of damaging the roots if you do so.  I'd wait patiently until you can see a root poking out of the hole in the bottom of the pot.  

You could take several cuttings, to increase your chance of success...

Why not take a lot of photos before you take the cuttings, so you have those to remember a beautiful tree and a precious person, even if the cuttings fail?
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,716
    Maybe buy a cheap acer from wherever is selling cheap acers, cut the old graft off and graft on a bit from your tree?
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,039
    It would have to be a hardwood cutting and this is the wrong time of year for that (autumn being the right time). Even then there will be a very high failure rate. Much easier on your emotions to go to the garden centre and buy yourself the same tree. That way you will not be devastated when/if the cuttings fail. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller