Forum home The potting shed

What is this??? A bullet?

Hey guys, dug this up in the new veg patch. Was shiny/metallic but my SO soaked it in vinegar solution to see how it'd come up. Wondered is it a bullet? Or a fishing weight? Any ideas? Would love to know. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,679
    Looks like a ww2 .50 caliber machine gun bullet. No sign of the casing I presume?
  • allyrlallyrl Posts: 9
    Looks like a ww2 .50 caliber machine gun bullet. No sign of the casing I presume?

No casing, although I'd probs not recognise one. Is it really a bullet? Not the usual bit of crockery I dig up :smile:
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    edited May 2018
    Is the flat end at the bottom solid?  

It it does look like a bullet slug though.
    Utah, USA.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,814
    edited May 2018
    Deleted, error, sorry.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,620
    I know nothing about bullets, but my first thought was the weight from a "plumb line" , but can't see how the string would attach, unless a bit is missing. 
    Just a thought.
    Devon.
  • ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 383
    If you take it to your local museum they should have someone that deals with small finds who could identify it for you x
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    Pretty sure its a bullet, similar example here
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,155
    I’d say a bullet too. Just been browsing ‘bullets’ on the internet - my goodness, it seems so easy to buy them mail order in USA. It’s a mad world.
    Is the flat end at the bottom solid?  

It it does look like a bullet slug though.
    Yes it does appear to be solid.
    If you take it to your local museum they should have someone that deals with small finds who could identify it for you x
    Great idea, I think shrewsbury has a war type museum with all sorts of collections, I may well do that!