Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garlic

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows about garlic ? I have planted some in the greenhouse about 6 weeks ago and was then going to plant out next April / May time. The Garlic seems to be growing too quick, its about 5 to 6 inches tall already. will it be OK to keep it in the greenhouse until next April. I live in the North West and its very mild at the moment for this time of year, If I plant it out it will freeze for sure when the weather turns.

Cheers   John  (2nd year gardener, so a novice )

• Hi,  I live in south east near the coast so mild but I always plant garlic (onions/shallots also) direct in the ground and garlic especially does really well.  They say that garlic needs a period of cold for the bulb to 'clove'.  I think that is so as this summers crop was fantastic after the last cold winter.  I have had a crop of just larger bulbs, no cloves formed before now.  I would get it out before the ground gets frozen.

Mary

• DotDot Posts: 1

I plant my garlic now and what Mary says is correct, the cold seems to be an essential part.  I planted some in Oct which are up and will plant some more before Christmas. As long as the ground is soft then you get it in.

• I always plant in autumn and I live in south wales.

• Likewise planted garlic in  seed boxes and put them in a cold frame about five weeks ago, they are about 6 in tall already so will move them to the allotment over this weekend.

Last year planted direct into the ground about November and the snow we had (midlands)  was not a problem.  Only planted in the cold frame to get a earlier crop.

• I plant some of my garlic into cells around Christmas and then leave them outside - they freeze, they thaw, but always seem to do well - ie last year it went down to -10 but they were the best garlic i have ever grown. I get them into the ground around March as my soil is very wet clay and things tend to sit and rot over winter.

• I'm just planting my garlic today. I live in the SW and hope it's not too late to plant them outside. Very novice gardener - never attempted garlic before!
  • I am also a novice gardener and have quetsions about planting garlic. I live in south FL and we don't get cold weather. Problem? The question I have is. I have two bulbs of garlic that have sprouted green tails, can I plant them directly into my garden? Greens down? Thanks.

• in north spain we plant garlic in dec/jan - good results

• hi 2spaniels = you need to divide the garlic bulbs - they re made up of cloves and you plant them up individually and plant green side up ! also they ll be fine but generally you d get better cropping from garlic specifically for growing (eg from a garden centre) rather than garlic you buy for eating, good luck

• jgs56jgs56 Posts: 1

planted garlic late on (april) in season for the first time and got reasonable results from bulbs bought from local pound shop.some planted into well dug soil and some in an old container. i live in central Scotland where planting season for me is a few weeks later than more southerly areas. my advice is give it a go anyway especially if bulbs bought at reasonable price.