Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bamboo Flowering????

Good evening folks. For some reason my fence of bamboo that I planted 11 years ago has started to flower. Please see attached photographs. I have read that if bamboo starts to flower with these little rice type flowers, all of that bamboo will die.  For me to replace all of this bamboo would be thousands of pounds. Does anyone have advice or personal experience of this happening to them?
Thanks in advance 

Jamie Humphries 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546
    I had a bamboo flower and yes, it died.
    But I had collected some seed from it, and grew another one, which I still have, many years later.
    It grew fairly fast after a bit of a slow start, so may be you could save some money by DIY.
  • dannysondannyson Posts: 60
    This happened to me some years ago just as I about to open the garden again for the NGS.  I cut down past all the flowering bits and managed to retain some of the plants - although they grew weakly from then on....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jhumphriesjhumphries Posts: 2
    I don't know what type of bamboo it is unfortunately. My neighbour dug it up and gave it to me in 2006. We then divided it into 6 clumps and planted it to give us a natural fence screen, which I have to say has been perfect. If I cut out the bamboo below where it is flowering, then 80% of it will be cut away, so I suppose I will just leave it to see what happens. Most upset..........
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546
    You can imagine how pandas feel when it happens to them!