Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Thinning carrots and replanting?

Has anyone ever managed to transplant carrot seedlings? I hate throwing away seedlings, I know it's stupid. I was going to transplant the ones I have to see what happens bit I was wondering if anyone has already done this and has been successful.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    Carrots don't transplant successfully. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Take as much soil as you can with them, and give it a try.  Try not to disturb the soil ball they are in when you transplant.  If you move/break the hairlike taproot, they will be forked and weird (and difficult to clean/peel/cut).  You'll still need to do a lot of thinning, as carrots along the edge of each transplant spot will be damaged.  Personally, there are a zillion seeds in each inexpensive seed pack, I wouldn't bother myself.. BUT, gardening is all about experimenting.   :)
    Utah, USA.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    If you don’t like to waste a seedling buy pelleted seeds then you just sow wherever you want them. 
    Theres not much point in trying to transfer them, you could attract the root fly and they don’t take well. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,251
    Big boys don't cry.  :(
    Carrots don't transplant. :)
  • Another reason for asking is that I was at a garden centre today and we're selling trays of carrots to obviously transplant.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    💷💷💷 What will someone do?  Take them back in the fall for a refund?  I see many things at the GC that are destined for failure.  
    Utah, USA.