Forum home Plants

White hydrangea varieties

TadsTads Posts: 210
hello, we are looking for a variety of white hydrangea to plant in my daughter’s front garden in Chilworth, Guildford, where we want to now create a “White Garden”.  The type my daughter is asking for she describes thus:  * “with a big round white Pom-Pom flower head” - she does not like the “lacy” looking flower heads of the present pink ones we want to replace, so all I have to go on is her description above. Can anyone please help me with ideas of which varieties I might look for, & any tips would be very appreciated. And anything about the type of soil they prefer ?  We are on clay here, but I do mulch every year & supplement compost etc when I plant. 
thankyou 😊 🤔
Tads 🌷 

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553
    edited April 2018
    Incrediball is the most famous... But there's eternal "Annabelle" !
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,053
    Have a look at the paniculatas - Limelight, Candlelight, Floribunda, Silver Dollar and such.

These have the advantage of flowering in new season's wood so can be pruned back to a pair or two of buds every spring and thus kept to size.   They do need rich, moisture retentive soil - like all hydrangeas - and, whilst their flowers start white they do eventually fade to pinker shades as the season progresses.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/8944/Hydrangea-paniculata/Details

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    I second "Annabelle"  Limelight has conical flowerheads if your daughter wants some variety.
    SW Scotland
  • Just came back from our local nursery where I bought 2 hydrangeas Madame Emily Moulliere.
    My mum planted few of them around the old water well in our house in South West of France and every year they are the stars of the garden. 
    Flowers in a beautiful pure-white, which tints to pink as they age, with contrasting dark leaves. Exceptionally long-flowering. Suitable for any soil type. Full sun or part shade. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,551
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 343
    I have a madame emily that' has turned a little pink. I am a fan of incredible. ..its also tolerant of some shade