The Queen's Commonwealth Canopy

It was advertised on the TV the other morning that the woodland trust are giving away tree saplings as part of the Queen's commonwealth canopy. Well I applied thinking I wouldn't hear back as thousands have applied and I just got an email saying I have been successful! :)

I'm so chuffed! Apparently I will receive a mixture of 5 trees including a Hazel, Rowan and a silver birch. How long will it take for them to grow to say 10-15ft? I will probably be a pensioner hehe :)

It's nice to know I'm doing my bit for the planet and being part of this project. Did anyone else apply? 

Craigh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,705
    No, not for this, but I did apply for some free saplings about ten years ago that were being given away as a project to reforest Britain and they are doing well near our house.

I watched the David Attenborough programme about it. I was rather surprised to hear that although Madge likes trees she doesn’t like the sound of crows near “the house”. Trees and crows seem to go together for me. If one doesn’t like crows then maybe one should not encourage trees.

I can’t help feeling that some young person is behind it all rather than the person whose name is on the tin.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 568
    Haha yea that is kinda silly isn't it about the crows. Maybe she should put a sign up saying no crows allowed! Hehe
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,200
    At a railway station where I used to work, a group of self-builders put up some matchbox houses on the former goods yard.  They'd no sooner moved in than they started whingeing about the noise from the passing trains.