Forum home Plants

Anthemis 'EC Buxton'

LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,510

I bought one of these the other day, and it is bursting out of the pot - a really vigorous looking plant! Ya reckon I'd get away with giving it the three-way-chop straight out of the pot (and hack back the growth so it comes back nice and bushy)?

I haven't grown it before, but it seems like the kind of plant that will bulk up again quite rapidly.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 7,088

I haven't tried dividing this plant per se - but I regularly pull bits off when I'm cutting it back / dead heading it and they root really really easily. Would hesitate to describe it as taking cuttings - its much rougher than that. Sometimes just stick the bits in the soil if there's a bit of root - but more usually in a small pot of gritty compost where they root within 3 weeks.

Can be planted out quite small and form decent sized plants in a season. Make nice cut flowers for a cottage garden jam-jar arrangement.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,510

Thanks TB. Maybe I'll get another and give it the chop, and pot on any rooted shoots that come off. 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,510
    A bit of an update; I didn't divide and the anthemis flowered beautifully for a month or so. 

But I was leafing through one of Christopher Lloyd's books. He advises dividing it into very small pieces each year. This apparently extends the flowering season. So I'm trying this, this year. Hopefully the plants will go on for a bit longer. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,666
    WillDB, if you cut it back after the first flush, there is normally a second flush around late July, and they can go onto August.