Forum home Wildlife gardening

The Snail Lover's Society

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,395
    At least Brian had a good life with you Lyn and is still proving useful.  Who said snails were bad news ? :D

My pond snails are doing well - lots of eggs laid.

PPauper - your pic is very elegant - I can't imagine that one being so rude as to produce slime B)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,457
    My name's Dave and I'm a snail lover. No garden should be mollusc free in my opinion, if a garden is working properly then snails are valuable allies not pests. I will admit to rounding up the garden snails that live by the veg beds around the time I plant my beans. They get slapped in snail jail (pic below) and released on probabation into my dad's garden where they can eat whatever they like. The banded snails are more numerous than the garden snails though and don't seem to do any harm at all, they're basically fancy moving rocks.

Who wouldn't want these decorating their garden?

This one was tiny

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,345
    Indeed, Hernond.  Banded snails are beautiful.   :)

Not many snails in this garden - mostly slugs, which - am I guilty of shellism? - I find less appealing...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Nice photos Dave - welcome to the SLSociety :)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,173
    Banded snails seem to eat a lot in my little greenhouse. Am I wrong?
    Fire said:
    Banded snails seem to eat a lot in my little greenhouse. Am I wrong?
    They prefer decaying matter by preference. Move them out of the greenhouse and near to the compost heap or somewhere where you need a clear-up crew to help out. Maybe you're being too tidy in the garden?
    They thrive here in reasonable numbers but then I could never be described as being too tidy garden wise.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,173
    I don't think anyone could ever say I'm too tidy. I have an enormous colony of banded snails that live in my large ivy hedge. I keep log piles all over the place and brush autumn leaves under the shrubs for wildlife habitat. But the bandies like my seedlings. They are beautiful creatures.