Forum home Wildlife gardening

Robins.

Considering this is well into the breeding season, I was most surprised to see four robins
happily hopping about together on March 17th. They were under the bird feeders, no more than a feet or two apart. No sign of any aggression. My thoughts are, surely this would be
considered very unusual.

• Yes,it's almost like it's a family,but a bit early and cold for the young to have survived!!
    I have a pair,that seem to rub along together,but woe betide any other birds that arrive at the feeding station,especially other robins!
    He won't see off the blackbirds,but so annoying when he chases the bullfinches. Very unusual for them to all get on.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • kathie51dkathie51d Posts: 100
    Hi Cowslip2 and Cagzo, I also thought it unusual to get 2 pairs in the same garden, I listened and watched what I assumed were 2males through the winter singing on their chosen territory. They paired with females? 1 set in the front garden and the other set in the back. I thought the severe weather may account for them happily sharing the feeders. They are obviously nesting and are seen less at the feeders. My hand tame Robin, the one who is nesting in the back garden and has a good view of my kitchen door is about every day waiting for her titbits.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    I have three sets in my garden & it's common in a larger area, perhaps the feeders are the neutral territory for each.
  • I think I have 2 sets! I've just been watching them. The main man chases off all the other small birds,but the smaller not so bright one doesn't bother,he's been sharing with a sparrow.Their partners sit on the fence not getting involved.
    I could watch them for hours! New to the table is a square suet block,and they are all going mad for it. It got insects in it apparently! Mmmmm!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • I have at least 3 pairs of robins coming to my feeders. There was a huge amount of chasing off between them earlier but things seem to have calmed down a bit recently so I assume they have all found a partner and nesting site away from my garden. There is plenty of uncultivated open land surrounding my plot so lots of room for everyone.

I have one robin which has mastered the art of hanging onto the fat ball feeder, others fly up and grab a beak full but do not hang on.

Last year my long tailed tits all but disappeared, from a flock of 20 odd to almost zero but they are back this year, have seen at least 8 all together. I do wish they would line up nicely to let me count them!

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 557
    I have a robin nesting in a Festuca, which I have in a pot on the patio. I this usual for a nest to be so low down? only I was worried about cats and foxes getting at it. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,520
    Robins do tend to nest low down sometimes. I remember watching a pair raise two broods in the 'cupboard' built around the outside tap across the lawn from  my office ... I had to send a 'Round Robin' to all staff telling them Don't Shut The Door! (or use the outside tap!).  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• We had a robin nest on top of the bristles of a yard broom, propped up just inside the garage door. We had to leave to the doors ajar to give the adults access.

Another robin built its nest in the letter posting box, on a stone wall, in the grounds of Pine Lodge in St Austell, a private garden open to the public all year round. They had to close the postal service until after the fledglings had flown the nest.

Robins definitely have a knack of finding unusual, interesting desirable residences.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.