Forum home The potting shed

Image size test - please take part!

• Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    Dave.

Not sure what happened thought I had put in the download speed its actual averages 52mb/s
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Fif2Fif2 Posts: 69
    All 4 loaded but #1 was really slow & loaded. #2 & #4 were immediate and #3 was faster than 1 but slower than #2 & #4.
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 827
    All loaded slowly for me, especially No.1, but then my download speed is only 4.60 mbps with BT standard broadband.

As for file size, 5MB is way too big and needlessly large for web images that are just going to be viewed. Just about every image I have posted on here has been between 400KB and 800KB and 1024p on the longest side, anything larger is just a waste of bandwidth.

But, I appreciate that some are not able to resize an image for web use and download there pictures straight from the camera/phone/tablet, hence the larger file size.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,413
    edited March 2018
    Mine took a bit longer to load on Safari than Firebox (browser). They loaded bar by bar. I couldn't check which pics loaded best as while they were loading my screen 'froze' for about 15 seconds and wouldn't let me scroll down. A good Mac with high speed fibre optic. I have a load of filters in place, which I'm sure slows opening and loading quite a bit (Adblock, Ghostery, Https, Hit Hider).

On my phone (iphone 6, Safari) all four images took 30 seconds to load. All loaded at the same speed, bar by bar at the same time (not one after the other).

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,304
    On a clunky old iPhone 4 they all loaded together, taking a little under 30 seconds. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,820
    edited March 2018
    As I scroll up and down the page, they appear, disappear and appear again.🧐
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,143
    All loaded a bit slower than I  would like but acceptable
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469
    Number one started to load and then stopped and all I see is four small blue boxes with question marks in them  :/
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 246
    After eight mins only the first had loaded completely but the others were nearly there. However I wouldn't really have the patience to wait that long! 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.