Forum home Wildlife gardening

Squirrels in your garden. Does it bother you much yes or no?

kristine015kristine015 Northern Ireland Belfast UKPosts: 66
I love wildlife and all animals. Love seeing all different types of birds. I always place birdseeds and fatballs at my back but squirrels are notorious for stealing them.
I actually don’t mind them and actually  I love seeing them in my garden and there were four of them once. 
Do you have squirrels in your garden? And what do you think of them? 

Some pics of squirells in my garden. 

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. -A. Einstein 

• LucidLucid Posts: 334
    That's so lovely kristine015! It's a hypothetical question for me at the moment as we don't seem to have any squirrels in our immediate area, but I would be very happy to have one visit, let alone 4! 

Lucid :)
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,261
    Don't mind the squirrels even when they have a little dig at the lawn.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,703
    Don’t like them much, they chew through phone cables, if they get in your loft they do a lot of damage, if you encourage them they will come into your house and cause destruction, I can vouch for that!  They are a rodent, just prettier than a rat. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,030
    No, don't have a problem with squirrels. Precious little wildlife in the middle of London.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,988
    Grey squirrels are a pest and I wouldn't encourage them if we had them.   However, in France we only have reds and none, so far, in this garden tho I've seen them elsewhere in the region.  Question of having the right trees I expect and there are more enticing woodlands nearby anyway.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,770
    Only had one a couple of times in over 30 years. It's about half a mile across an open field with no cover to get here, but the last one stayed a few days until it ate me out of peanuts. Refused to replace them as they are so expensive and weren't benefiting the birds. Now use a different feeder away from the trees and hope it won't get discovered!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,988
    Peanuts!  So expensive now.  I've just ordered 20kilos online because that brings the price down considerably but still more than I was paying a couple of years ago.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Red squirrels are great, but not so keen on the greys.. they seem a bit more aggressive. Happy to have any widllife in our garden!
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 362
    They damage and potentially kill trees, they certainly make them look unsightly (deciduous trees over winter, say five to six months of the year).    sure they look cute, but i'm afraid the damage they do cannot be ignored.  They have to be kept under control.