Image size test - please take part!

NoraWNoraW Posts: 393
edited April 2018 in The potting shed
Hi everyone, 

In response to concerns about image sizes and page loading times, we may need to introduce a file size limit for image uploads. We would like everyone to please take a look at the four images below, and then let us know which images loaded for you in the poll following the images.

On the previous forum we had a 5MB image upload limit which many felt was too low, which is why we increased it. We can't introduce an automatic file resizer, so you have a choice between having a larger file size limit (which means slower page loading times for those with slower internet speeds), or a lower file size limit (which means those with large files will have to resize them externally). 

This poll will be open for one week, closing on Wednesday 4 April. Please note that whichever decision we take will be final.

Image size test - please take part! 97 votes

All of them loaded for me at normal speed
46% 45 votes
All of them loaded for me, but slowly
49% 48 votes
None of them loaded for me
4% 4 votes
Only number one loaded for me
0% 0 votes
Number one and two loaded for me
0% 0 votes
Number one, two and three loaded for me
0% 0 votes
Number one, two and three loaded, but not four
0% 0 votes

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,532
    Very very slowly ☹️
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,056
    edited March 2018
    If it helps Nora...

All the images loaded for me but very slowly. Image 1 completed first but still took around 30 secs (which I could probably live with). 

It took 55 secs for all 4 images to fully download. I probably wouldn't look at a thread if the images took that long to download.

My internet speed is around 6Mbps - no access to anything faster.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,674
    edited March 2018
    They were all there immediately I clicked on the thread. 

Just checked our download speed (18.8Mbps ... Virgin cable)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,543
    @NoraGW.....I can't vote because there's no option in the list for me.  Number 4 loaded the quickest.  One and Two are remarkably slow, and I'm still waiting for Three!  And as I scrolled back to check how the loading was going that damned Rewardszone advert come up  AGAIN and threw me out of the site.
    Something very wrong, here.
    Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    edited March 2018
    We can't introduce an automatic file resizer, so you have a choice between having a larger file size limit (which means slower page loading times for those with slower internet speeds), or a lower file size limit (which means those with large files will have to resize them externally). 

Surely option two makes sense as adjustments can be made, whereas with option one people with slow internet have no choice but to lump it.
    I have abstained as my vote may disadvantage others.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058
    1, 2 and 4 loaded slowly. 3 has not loaded, 4 was the first in. No box to tick for that combination. :0 very slow broadband all the time and slower than usual this morning
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120
    edited March 2018
    None of the images appeared instantly on the page.
    Had to keep scrolling up and down to try and watch them load.
    The rate of the reveal seemed to be consistent for all the images (loading in stripes from top to bottom at a similar speed), took approx 12 seconds.

Edited to add that all the images loaded for me.
    (thought my poll answer would show that info)
  • NoraWNoraW Posts: 393
    @nutcutlet and @Muddle-Up - I'll put you down as 'Other' - our new system prevents editing the poll options once they have been published. Re the bad ad, our team are looking into it currently - it's not one of ours, but it has obviously found a way in to the site, so they are running scans now.
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,543
    Since trying to get in here I've been thrown out 4 times with reports of Malware from Norton, that blasted pfishing site
    http://nationalconsumerscenter.co.uk/?Flow=9F6A0F93-DBA1-F647-F1C4-06A0E246768BBD435BED&isPrePop=true&reward=amazon250&o=210278&subaff1=515&subaff2=203529&subaff3=86686&subaff4=UK-amazon250&DVID=
    and another load of chuck-out ads for WALMART of all places.

I'm giving up on this forum, sorry to say, I no longer feel my device is safe when I'm on the forum.

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    On a Macbook pro they load practically instantly. On a Kindle fire they  all loaded slowly. Same broadband speed but the macbook (firefox browser)has considerably more capacity than the kindle fire.(silk browser) We have fast broadband until the kids in the neighbourhood get home from school .  My internet speed is currently 145 Mbps.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
This discussion has been closed.