Car mirror smashed - what do I do? Panicking a little.

Hi everybody, hope you can help. On my way to work today I must have smashed some parked car's window. I heard a small bang but I thought it was just a pot hole and only much later, already on the motorway I noticed that my passenger mirror was smashed. It was ok when I left my house earlier. So I must have smashed some other car or some other car's mirror.

Obviously if I noticed it straight away I would have stopped and left my details. It's too late now, but what is the best thing to do for me now? Do I call the police and let them know? I wouldn't want to be somebody who would hit and run, so what do I do as a decent person?

Any advice and any experience is welcome.

Thank you!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,941
    Too late to do anything about it now. It's unfortunate but these things happen. Forget about it but try not to drive so close to parked cars in the future.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 895
    It wouldn't do any harm to call 101 and let them know what (might have) happened. You'll be covered that way and peace of mind.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,675
    Unless you know where it happened I don't think there is anything that you can do. It is one of the hazards of parking on the street ... once it had happened to me I made sure I folded the mirrors in each time I parked ... also just because your mirror broke it doesn't necessarily mean that the other one is broken. 
    The fact that you were unaware that it happened might indicate it's time to get an eye test to check that you don't have any 'blind spots' and are judging distances accurately. 
    Go back that way on your way home or tomorrow morning and see if you can identify what you hit ... if you can't then there's no more you can do so don't beat yourself up about it. You've tried. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414
    edited March 2018
    Those things happen my wing mirror was broken when I returned to the car, no note and no witness. The thing is you are breaking the law with a broken mirror get it fixed now. We phoned the garage they said bring it in we can often just repair broken bits we did and they did exactly that at no charge, we are customers but it was a nice surprise when they said it is OK.
    Frank.
  • Thank you everybody. I called 101, they put me through to the local police. But nobody would answer the phone, so I left a voice mail and send them an email with my full details. There isn't much more I can do, at least I tried, so we shall see what is going to happen.

I must say though the cars are sometimes really badly parked on our small roads, really far out on the road. And in busy times things like this happen quite easily.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,675
    Glad you've found a  resolution that sits comfortably with you  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you Dove, I thought it would be a decent thing to do. Police called me back with the report reference number, so now all I can do is to wait and see what will happen next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Big Blue 
    You have done the right thing by reporting it. With the amount of camera's that are about plus anybody who witnessed it, there always a possibility that someone saw it happen. It's basically it would be deemed a minor RTA and by law should be reported to the police so you have protected yourself 
  •  Thank you Steve, yes, I too think it was the best thing to do. First I did as much as a could to take responsibility for the incident (as I said, if I noticed it straight away I would have taken care of it then and there). And second I protected myself from being accused of ''hit and run''.

But I can't say I'm looking forward to hearing from them :/