Strawberries in hanging baskets

A quick (and maybe a bit silly) question so apologies in advance!!  I want to grow my strawberries this year in hanging baskets and ordered the free ones from last month's mag.  My question is, should I have bought a special variety for hanging baskets (like you do tomatoes) or will any strawberries trail because it's their nature?

Not I huge problem if I've made a mistake as I will just put them in a planter instead but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Don't need a special basket for strawbs Tracy, any one will do.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

LOL Dave....not the baskets, the strawberries!! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,432

And I've grown ordinary strawbs in baskets, so ordinary strawbs in ordinary baskets looks the way to go image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,916

I did it with ordinary strawberries (hung the baskets off my apple tree and then walked into them every time I cut the lawn) And they seemed to do just fine - just remember to give them plenty of water! image

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 561

Which varieties would you recommend? The one's I've seen advertised all seem a bit big and blousy and maybe 'watery' to taste being 'new'. Are any of the old favourites in hanging form available?

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Hi Bio, I'm not in a position to recommend any varieties as I don't know enough about them.  The ones I have were free from GW and are Honeyoe (earlys) and Cambridge Favourite (mid), I may also get some lates just so we can have strawberries all summer image

Thanks for the tips everyone, I am getting baskets in the next couple of days and will get them planted image

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 702
    Having read all the above, l wonder if someone could give me some advice re:Alpine strawberries l planted in a hanging basket last year ? All the "hanging down bits" are brown, but the central crown looks green and healthy. As soon as it warms up a bit, how should l treat them ? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,569
    Cut all of the brown dead stuff off and you will be fine, AnniD.  The hanging down bits are runners which would have rooted if they were planted in the ground rather than in a basket.  The flower stalks will sprout from the centre of the plants.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 702
    Thanks Bob, much appreciated. Will do !  :)
  • Johnny CrosbyJohnny Crosby Posts: 11
     I would quite like to try this too - but how can you prevent birds (or mice) from getting to the strawberries as they dangle?