Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Daffodils and the big freeze

GrajeanGrajean Posts: 447

My poor daffodils in flower are lying on the ground thanks to the extreme weather. Will they "pick up" when the weather warms up or should I pick them and bring indoors? Such a shame.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Mine too, I think it's the wind as well. 

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

The little ones like tete a tete seem to perk up again. The taller ones can get bent and don't. I tend to pick those ones but leave as many as I can. Even the crocus are looking a bit wilted at the moment, it's so cold image

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

Any that have fallen flat are unlikely to stand up again so pick them and enjoy them indoors.   Ones that have stalled or just leaned a bit should recover.   Open crocuses will be damaged by the snow but closed ones should be fine.

If you have snow on evergreen shrubs and trees it should be shaken off before it starts to thaw as this is when branches get broken by excess weight - that or they get permanently bent out of shape and look odd sticking out.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,154

I think I'll be permanently bent out of shape after working outdoors in a  -12C windchill tomorrow !!!!!!!

• GrajeanGrajean Posts: 447

Thank you everyone, after picking the daffs, found stems frozen solid, put them in water but now the heads have fallen off. Still a few bulbs in bud so hopefully a small show later on once the weather improves.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Left mine down and they are out for the count after last night's -7c, others in bud are flopping but I have my fingers crossed. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Most of mine have keeled over too image